Typical size for 4 mth old female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woz

Boxer Pal
What's a typical height and weight for a 4 mth old boxer female? I was looking a Jaz the other day and thought she was looking quite small for a 4 mth old. Saying that, she has very long legs. What are your experiences?

Sarah
Owner of Jaz - 4 mth old flashy brindle female. Docked tail, natural ears.

I think Amaya was about 20 lbs at 4 months. She was quite a little girl but gained a lot from 6-9 months. She is almost 1 year now and 46 lbs.

Amaya also got very leggy. She was 90% legs for some time. She looked really silly with those big stick legs. She has grown into them though and is a solid little lady :)

Lava Linda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Last night, my sons and I pulled out some home movies, and there was Purdy as a 6-7 month old pup. She looked awful!!!! She was skin and bones, all legs, and her tail was way too long, perched on her bony rump.
I couldn't believe she ever looked like that! I could see every vertebrae in her backbone! Of course, it was on the tail end of a week long camping trip, and she never eats well when we travel. The long tail threw me, in particular. She's fleshed out now, and her tail is perfect. It looked 4 inches long in the video!

She weighs 60-65 pounds now, and is sturdy and well muscled.
Give your pup time. If she seems healthy, eats a good diet and plenty of it, I wouldn't worry too much. Purdy didn't really fill out unti she was 3.

Nifftea

Now I'm worried

I called the vet today because I was worried my puppies were being overfed and gaining too much weight. Mac weighed 4 lbs 8 ozs at 4 weeks. At 6 weeks he weighs over 10 lbs. Jazz weighed 3 lbs 1 oz at 4 weeks, now is 6 pounds. The vet said to let them eat as much as they wanted in four feedings per day, and that is what I have been doing. He said they will level off. I told him I was switching from Iam's to NutroMax and he told me how to balance it out for the first week so as not to cause stomach upset. But, after hearing that a 4 month old weighs 20 pounds, it makes me wonder again if I am feeding too much.... How much did you guys feed?

Lava Linda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can overfeed young puppies. Do they eat until they're full, then stop? That's what mine did. Then they'd take a nap, while Purdy cleaned up the rest of the puppy slop (evaporated milk, infant rice cereal, and puppy chow).

I got Gilroy at 10 weeks, and he was a big, sturdy, stocky pup. I'll bet he weighed at least 18-20 pounds. He's about 85 pounds now, and in good flesh without being fat.

I've noticed with kids and pups, that they can grow upwards without gaining much weight. They look a little short and fat, then shoot upwards, and in the blink of an eye they're skinny again, but three inches taller. The cycle repeats....until they're all grown up! (sniff, sniff...:()lovicon

Nifftea

thanks

Thanks Lava Linda, That makes me feel better. I can't help but worry about my babies. I love the reinforcement the people here give each other!

Jaelle

Completely Boxer Crazy
My vet too told me to feed my Pénéloppe all she wants. She's eating about two cups a day at 11 weeks, but remember that it always depends what kind of food she eats. My mother's Golden Retriever eats 3 cups a days and she's 7 months old! And she's not thin at all!

C

ChrisM

Your pups sound as if they are doing just fine! I don't think that they will eat too much....are you feeding a Large Breed puppy food? I think that is the key. You don't want them growing too terribly fast so that their bones don't get messed up but I don't think at their ages, it is a problem. They gain like gand busters then and they will taper off sooner or later! Good Luck....wish I had some little Boxer babies running around here!

Christy Burden

Boxer Booster
Our Dallas is 4 months old flashy fawn female and weighed in at the vet the other day at a BIG 30 lbs. She said it was normal for her height. Dallas is very leggy and her chest is very broad. I think we got ourselves a BIGUN'!!!

Nifftea

I am in the process of switching from Iam's puppy to Nutro Max puppy. I was lucky enough to talk to a former Nutro rep at Petsmart yesterday. She explained everything about all of the dog foods. She said the pups didn't need the large breed, that was more for great Danes, St. Bernard's, mastiffs, etc. She also recommended the tartar control biscuits by Nutro. Told me to watch out for BHA or BFA when buying treats. She walked all thru the store with me helping me with my purchases, telling me which was good, which wasn't, and the reasons. I took notes, but left them in the car and haven't gone back over them.

When I got home and fed the puppies, I gave them each one of the biscuits. The rep said it was like dessert for dogs. It was hilarious. They fought over one biscuit with the other one lying right there in the floor. Both puppies had an end of the biscuit in their mouth and neither was going to let go! Finally Mac, being twice Jazz's size, flipped her over and ran with the biscuit! I just wish I had had the camera in the kitchen to catch their first tug of war!

These are really good chew toys for them at their age, being hard and something they love the taste of. Nutro Max may cost more, the box of biscuits were almost $7.00, but I feel the first year of puppyhood, like a baby's life, is the most important for growth, and my dogs are worth the cost to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.