1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Questions from a Boxer Neophyte, Help

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Jerrybobby, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerrybobby

Jerrybobby Boxer Buddy

We will be bringing our family's first boxer home in mid-late September (my wife has owned one previously). The pups are approaching three weeks now.

We have found an absolutely wonderful breeder with two CH parents who are health tested and have great temperaments. We are so lucky to be getting a pup from this litter.

We are getting pictures of the pups every week which is great but it has produced a couple of issues I wanted to get some thoughts on...

1.) How in the world do I pass the time until I can take him or her home?? I will be picking a pup in late August so I love looking at the pictures but I don't know how I can wait 6 more weeks! I spend a ton of time here, and doing puppy training research, but I am going out of my mind! Suggestions on biding time?
    2.) As I look at the pups' pictures I can't help but wonder how the white markings and color will change over time into adulthood. Any thoughts on what happens with the white head/face markings...do they shrink up as I think they will? What about overall coat? The litter has fawns and brindles, the fawns are very dark at this age.

2. SnowDove

SnowDove Super Boxer

Brindles usually appear a bit lighter as they grow older and the stripes spread apart... My "semi-flashy" girl is losing a fair amount of the white on her fact as she gets older. She's still precious, though! :)

Congratulations on finding a good breeder - that's definitely a plus! :)

3. MayaDiane

MayaDiane Boxer Pal

The pink skin on their bellies will also turn to a light brown color also.

4. Steven Menk

Steven Menk Super Boxer

Looking at my guy from puppy to dog (flashing fawn), the pink (bare skin) on his snout directly below his nose darkened. On his belly and otherwise, it followed the pattern of his skin. Pink-pink ended up white, not-so-pink ended up pawn, dark ended up black.

He had brothers and sisters who were brindle and fawn. Coz is a medium fawn (I've seen both lighter and darker) but he looked dark as a puppy. I imagine a lot of brindles look pretty much black as puppies.

5. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

Two of my three boxers have/had a white fur strip between the eyes. The strip was quite wide when the dogs were pups and got significantly thinner as they grew and reached their full size. If you look at the photos in my gallery, you'll notice how wide Sarge's white fur between his eyes was when he was a pup compared to more recent photos.

As for passing the time until your pup is ready to come home ... hmmm. Here are a few ideas:

- shop for the new addition (puppy toys and other essentials)

- watch videos of boxers on youtube and prepare yourself for the antics that await ;)

Here's a few good ones:

‪The Trampoline Dog‬‏ - YouTube

‪Lets see the Dog Whisperer do this!!‬‏ - YouTube

- if you haven't already done so, begin researching what type of diet you plan to feed

- puppy proof your home ... these dogs can be real houdinis and masters in the mischief department ;)

- begin a photo album or scrapbook of your new baby since you already have some puppy pics (and make sure you're well acquainted with your camera as your fellow BW members expect plenty of puppy pictures!)

If all else fails, take a nap ... a new puppy will keep you hellishly busy and those frequent potty breaks (particularly in the wee hours of the morning) can make getting out of a nice, warm bed tricky, so enjoy an uninterrupted snooze while you can ;)

Playing the waiting game is such a killer! Here's hoping the next six weeks pass quickly for you and your family. Hang in there!

6. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

The white on their faces for sure shrinks up or at least it did with both of my girls. The other flashy areas are a little misleading. As they grow, say the white on their legs... it seems to get bigger as they get bigger if that makes sense. The pink areas, especially on the face get filled in with color as well.
    Here is Raine the day she was born. There is a lot of white on her face....pink too. What is even more funny to me is the little flaps they have for ears as babies!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/camisilver/PupBreezeGirl1B.jpg

6.5 weeks of age...white on face is going away and the little pink feet now have white hair on them. This is the first picture where her "angel wings" were noticeable on her neck. Those have remained.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/camisilver/baby65weeks.jpg

The day we brought her home at 8 weeks and 2 days old
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/camisilver/2010_0828Raine0010-Changed.jpg

13 weeks of age. Face has lost a lot of white and the pink is filling in. White on chest & legs appears to be gaining! Starting to also see a bit of black spots under the white areas now.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/camisilver/2010_0929Image0006-Changed.jpg

A tad over 8 months. This is pretty much what her face will stay like. A couple bits of pink remain and the white is a lot less than when born. The pink can range anywhere from the palest pink to a really deep red when she is extra sleepy. It is a good indicator for us to know when she is nearly done for the day.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/camisilver/2011_0327Image0016.jpg

And today at a year old
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/camisilver/2011_0208Image0037-Changed.jpg

As far as biding your time until your pup comes home.....as someone else mentioned, start puppy proofing now and get used to living that way. It isn't easy but won't last forever! Make sure you have a good vet all ready to go too. Too often people forget that. I know how hard the waiting game is but at least now you will still be able to get some sleep. :LOL:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. elgerdes

elgerdes Completely Boxer Crazy

Completely off topic, but as Susi, Raine is gorgeous!!!! This is said all the time, but man she is a looker ;)

I agree with the above posts about keeping busy. SLEEP!!! You won't get any once the little one is home. Shopping for toys and fun stuff is good too. I think we've spent more on toys and accessories for her than food for ourselves lately! (not really, but I'm sure it's close!)

Congrats and hope to see some pictures soon!

8. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

Yes, this is an awesome and important suggestion. If you haven't already done so, be sure to read the link below regarding what you need to know before your dog requires surgery or a sedative. The thread will go over what you need to know in greater detail, but long story short, it is imperative that the vet clinic you give your business to never uses acepromazine (ACE) on your new baby.

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/do...nfo-before-your-dog-has-surgery-sedative.html

You might also want to explore puppy socialization and/or obedience classes. Depending on the lifestyle of your family in terms of vacationing and travel (and assuming your dog might have to stay behind), exploring dogsitting options or reputable kennels wouldn't hurt. One can never be too proactive.

9. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Two awesome books that can be downloaded for free from Dog Star Daily: Before you get your puppy and After you get your puppy

Free Downloads | Dog Star Daily

Congratulations! appicon

Post some pictures of your new baby soon!

10. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Congratualtions on your new family member! I know how exciting it is and hard it is to wait. As many have mentioned, puppy proofing your house is a good thing to do. The best way I found to do trhis is to actually get down on the floor at "puppy level" and look around. You can be suprised at how many wires and "hidey-holes" you can see. It is better to find them before your pup does.

Here is a link to The ASPCA's website for the 17 most common toxic plants, ASPCA | 17 Poisonous Plants If you have any of them make sure your pup can't get to them. Also check around not only for your regular vet, but find out where there is a reputable emergency vet clinic and keep that phone # near your phone, and know the best route to get there. Hopefully you will never need it but there is nothing worse than trying to find this info when you are in panic mode.

Have you decided on a name yet? It usually takes some time to find one that everyone can agree on.

Again congratulations and I can't wait to see some pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.