Two Boxers eating out of same bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Badassboxer

Colbee and Debo are two peas in a pod. I put down food and neither of them will "chow it" Yesterday I came home and there was only one bowl of food. Is this okay?

If they don't mind, can I feed them out of one bowl. They have not fought or growled even once, they just kinda "fit".

I really would like to keep her, but she doesn't like my cats.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
I think every dog should have their own food bowl and their own safe place to eat it, where they don't have to worry about other dogs stealing their food. It's a comfort level thing, I guess - I know my dogs will fight over food, and with 5 there's no way I'd try just one bowl (or even 2 or 3). Also, I like to be able to keep track of who is eating how much, to adjust amounts, and because I know if someone does not eat there is a problem. That's why I never free-fed when I was feeding kibble - especially with multiple dogs, how would you ever know who was eating and who wasn't?

B

Badassboxer

Originally posted by JulieM
Also, I like to be able to keep track of who is eating how much, to adjust amounts, and because I know if someone does not eat there is a problem. ....how would you ever know who was eating and who wasn't?

You know, I never even thought of that. Thanks.

S

skyastara

When I was feeding kibble, Sid and Nanuq shared a bowl. I started out with two, but they just ate out of each other's anyway, so I consolidated :) But then, I also free-fed, so I felt that they both had a chance to get what they wanted.

ElizabethH

Completely Boxer Crazy
I separate eating areas for the boys 1) so there are no fights and 2) Junior is fussy and Sammy would eat everything! Sammy stays away from Junior's bowl even if it mostly full. Water bowls is entirely different! We have a few all over and they both will drink out of one at the same time! silly boxers!

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Free feeding is when you leave out food all the time, and just refill it when it gets low. Many people do it - like I said, it's not within my comfort level (and now that I'm feeding a raw diet, it's not within my sanitation level, either!).

S

skyastara

JulieM, that is quite a visual! :LOL: I no longer free feed, as I also feed raw. I also feed the dogs separately now, as there would be myriad problems otherwise wackicon
But as far as kibble, I think that sharing a bowl or not is up to the preferences of the owner, assuming that there are no problems such as fighting, or one dog overeating due to the competition. In my case, it worked out well.

Tom

Boxer Buddy
My two eat out of different bowls. Kobo doesn't always eat breakfast so we need to see what she does eat. If we left the food out, Kiki would eat it. She's fifty-five pounds he's eighty-six pounds. Food bowls are never left out with food in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.