Two 8month old boxers terriorizing my 7yr old son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxerfactor

Boxer Pal
I have two snow boxers who just turned 8 months old and 1 7 year old son. My problem is this: Everytime I leave the room the puppies playfully "attack" my son, even if they just know he is around they will go nuts after him. When I bring them in from their walks, they know they have to sit in order to be released from the leash, however, as soon as they are off they will b-line into the living room and pounce on my son without letting up until I come in and yell. Three days ago, I walked out of the house to take the trash out only seconds later to hear blood-curdling screams from in the house. I went running in and my son was attempting to make it to the door with the pups chasing and jumping at him. He had blood allover him so I paniced offcourse, put the dogs in the kennel and ran him upstairs to clean him off. When I got the blood washed off it wasn't that bad, but bad enough. He has four scratches across his forehead, a punciture wound in back of ear, several scratches on his back, and the worse of them across his head, neck, ear. They didn't break the skin on these but look like giant heekies. When I asked my son what happened he said they pounced on him on the couch to lick at him but were scratching him so he balled up and they continued to dig at him to get at his face to lick. I am mortified by what they did to him and how they behave with others. Whenever new people come around they try to jump allover them up in their faces or they will pee on their feet. What can I do for them to calm down, have manners, and not be so rough?

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Just some ideas...

I don't have any kids yet but I have wondered and thought about what to do with my boxer boy once I do have kids. But here is what makes sense in my head:

First of all - I would NEVER leave the dogs alone w/ your 7 year old child. Even if the dogs are playing rough with each other and totally leaving your son alone - he could get caught up somehow and be thrown into something, hit his head, and by the time you get back he could be unconscious. All of this would not have been the dogs intention obviously, and I don't think they are trying to HURT your son I just think they are playing. Even if I curl up into a ball on the floor rocky goes nuts pawing at my head trying to see my face - I think the dogs were just trying to see your son.

You need to have your son responsible for the dogs more. He needs to start feeding them, going on walks with them (and you obviosuly) and if you give him more responsibility the dogs will *hopefully* start to respect him more and stop "attacking" your son as you say. You obviously have to be in the room with the dogs and your son AT ALL TIMES.

Take the dogs to a training class and bring your son with. Have your son do all of the exercises- in a controlled enviornment if they can learn to listen to him with other dogs and people acting as a distraction I assume they may start listening at home.

Just some of my thoughts- like I said - I haven't experienced this first hand but just from reading and thinking those are my thoughts.

Good luck - keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Cami

Boxer Insane
Pardon my ignorance but what are "snow boxers"?

Your pups are acting normally except what was cute and adorable when they were SMALLER is no longer so cute and adorable since they are larger and capable of causing injury even if it is unintentional.

Sounds like they need training. Not to jump, not to play so rough and your son (sorry to say) also needs to be taught better "Boxer-management" skills. Running during play with them or running away period in an attempt to get away from them when they are so riled up is a GAME to them. Loud noises children make like screaming, laughing, etc...are all "motivators" for pups. He isn't going to win.

Peeing at people's feet is a common pup thing. It isn't something they intend to do or plan on it just happens that some lack a bit of self confidence and urinate involuntarily during times of excitement (like when people enter the home). Most often this goes away with age but it isn't uncommon to have to help in this area. There are many threads here on BW that can help give you ideas on what to do with all of your current issues.

Until you find ways to work on the issues I would suggest that you never leave your son alone with either dog (or both). By providing constant supervision to all three when together you can correct & redirect unwanted behaviors. Consistency and patience are key.

EAO76

Boxer Insane
A big part of your problem is that you have litter mates. This is a huge contributing factor. Adolescent litter mates are like a wild, two headed monster that feed off of each others high energy and escalate each others behavior. Do a search on this board for the term "littermate syndrome" and follow some of the advice on how to help your two dogs develop individual identities. Also neuter them (if you haven't already). Adolescents go through hormone surges just like teenagers that can make them crazy. Next exercise them more. Don't just depend on them to wrestle in the back yard and that be their only outlet for their energy. They need routine constructive exercise outside the home ( a stroll for a young boxer is not enough. They need to run or do something vigorous). In addition to running them if you have a safe dog park take them individually so they can learn to socialize with other dogs (leave one home & alternate days). This is important so that they don't learn to pack up on other dogs (like they do your son). Do one on one games of fetch or tug of war. Spend separate time w/ them so that they bond & respect the humans not just each other.

Don't leave you son with both dogs. If you have to leave the room call at least one dog to come with you. I doubt they will act like this on an individual basis (or at least not to the same degree). Tell your child to stay calm. If they start acting up he needs to be as boring as possible and calmly remove him self from the situation. Yes your son can take a more active role feeding, walking, etc but its really up to the adults to be strong leaders & teach the dogs appropriate behavior. Dogs generally do not respect children under 12yrs. So there isn't much he can really do to change that. Again, its up to you to get control of the dogs and train them how to behave. Obedience training is extremely important but even more so when you have littermates.

Have them drag leashes behind them (thin, light weight drag lines) so that you can grab them or step on the leash when they are misbehaving. You can also tether them to you. This is difficult when you have two so you might want to work one dog at time & rotate the other in a crate or safe place. Also when you have guests over keep them crated until they are calm & then let them out with leashes attached so you can control their jumping & excitement. Tell your guests to ignore the dogs. Again this is easier to do one at a time. You can just rotate their time equally. Having litter mates is much harder than having just one. You have to work far harder. Their influence on each other is VERY DIFFICULT to compete with. Its not the same as just having two dogs. Littermates are a whole different animal.

But for your main problem the easiest thing for your son to do right now is learn is to be as boring as possible. If the dogs get too excited he needs to learn to remain calm, no noise, no running, no waving his arms. Its difficult for kids so you might want to practice with him.

Good luck

Widges

Completely Boxer Crazy
But for your main problem the easiest thing for your son to do right now is learn is to be as boring as possible. If the dogs get too excited he needs to learn to remain calm, no noise, no running, no waving his arms. Its difficult for kids so you might want to practice with him. Good luck

A lot easier said than done, especially if your son is now scared of the dogs.
I agree with the leaving a long leash on them so you can re-direct them when they are going at your son. Never leave them alone with him, even 1 of them. Your son needs to know that you will stop your dogs terrorizing him.

Unless you really get on top of this unwanted behaviour now, your son could end up with injuries ALOT worse.

Exercise them, mentally & physically. Good luck.

kayboxer

Boxer Insane
Gee, I was wondering the same thing....

I'm glad it is just not me! :LOL: I thought maybe a new line of boxers I didn't know about!

I have a feeling part of the problem is also they do not place your son higher in the pack than they are. They need to learn the pack order, and that your son above them. You need to start training them with your son also. I would find an obedience class and have you and your son take part in it so he can learn how to handle them, and they can learn a few manners themselves. It can be a great bonding experience for them instead of having your son fear them and having the dogs take advantage of him. My mother teaches obedience and I have seen many classes. You'd be surprised how much children learn and love working with animals once they are taught correctly and see how the dogs respond to them. Good luck!

maxerfactor

Boxer Pal
What are snow boxers?

Pardon my ignorance but what are "snow boxers"?

Your pups are acting normally except what was cute and adorable when they were SMALLER is no longer so cute and adorable since they are larger and capable of causing injury even if it is unintentional.

Sounds like they need training. Not to jump, not to play so rough and your son (sorry to say) also needs to be taught better "Boxer-management" skills. Running during play with them or running away period in an attempt to get away from them when they are so riled up is a GAME to them. Loud noises children make like screaming, laughing, etc...are all "motivators" for pups. He isn't going to win.

Peeing at people's feet is a common pup thing. It isn't something they intend to do or plan on it just happens that some lack a bit of self confidence and urinate involuntarily during times of excitement (like when people enter the home). Most often this goes away with age but it isn't uncommon to have to help in this area. There are many threads here on BW that can help give you ideas on what to do with all of your current issues.

Until you find ways to work on the issues I would suggest that you never leave your son alone with either dog (or both). By providing constant supervision to all three when together you can correct & redirect unwanted behaviors. Consistency and patience are key.

Please excuse my missed typing. They are not "snow boxers" They are snow-white boxers meaning that their fur is snow-white in color.

maxerfactor

Boxer Pal
Sorry for the misprint

Sorry everyone, I do not have "snow boxers", it was a mistyping. It should have said snow-white boxers because they are completely snow white in color. Also, thanks everyone for all of the helpful hints.

chipmunk

Boxer Pal
I'm glad it is just not me! :LOL: I thought maybe a new line of boxers I didn't know about!

I have a feeling part of the problem is also they do not place your son higher in the pack than they are. They need to learn the pack order, and that your son above them. You need to start training them with your son also. I would find an obedience class and have you and your son take part in it so he can learn how to handle them, and they can learn a few manners themselves. It can be a great bonding experience for them instead of having your son fear them and having the dogs take advantage of him. My mother teaches obedience and I have seen many classes. You'd be surprised how much children learn and love working with animals once they are taught correctly and see how the dogs respond to them. Good luck!

I Agree with kayboxer your 2 boxers feel that your son is below them in the pack so they have dominance over him,

Status
Not open for further replies.