1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twitches a lot..when sleeping

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Tiggers Dad, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiggers Dad

Tiggers Dad Boxer Pal

I have bee paying special attention to my little guy, now almost 5 months old. I noticed that he does twitch a lot when he sleeps..I know that this is probably normal, but it does get quite intence.. Can anyone shed some light on this for me....

Thanks Tiggers Dad

2. LolaGatorDad

LolaGatorDad Boxer Pal

Hey Trigger and his dad!

My 2 both do it. Lucy is about 4 1/2 years old and her "fits" are far less frequent. Hers are mostly just a little twitching and very soft yelping.

Lola is about 10 months and hers are much more often and much more intense. She kicks and flails and yelps a decent bit louder. She actually growls a bit too!

I have heard that it may have something to do with the fact that the neural pathway in puppies are not as advanced and well connected as their adult counterparts, but I'm not sure how valid that is. Either way, it sure sounds good. I have yet to find a problem with their little episodes, though.

JT

3. shastadaisy

shastadaisy Boxer Buddy

I've also read the same in many boxer books. That it's normal for a puppy to twitch in their sleep because they are developing their neuralogical something or other. Shasta does it all the time (6 months) though I see as her dreaming of casing the ball or playing. :0)

4. msjosi

msjosi Completely Boxer Crazy

Josi still does this and she is 8, so what does that mean?

5. matrok

matrok Completely Boxer Crazy

Both of ours do this too, Leila much more than Rugby and she is older. Go figure. Come to think of it so does DH.

6. LolaGatorDad

LolaGatorDad Boxer Pal

My 4 1/2 year old still does it too. It does not mean anything is wrong. I just said that puppies usually do it more frequently because their neural pathways are not as well developed as adult dogs. This is what I have heard anyway. I'm not positive that it is factual, but it seems like at least a reasonable explanation.

7. miri_tx

miri_tx Boxer Booster

Millie is 11 weeks and does that. I didn't know that it was neurological development; I always thought she was dreaming! (I learn something new everyday here!) Anyway, regardless of why she does it, it's darn cute!

8. rosebje

rosebje Boxer Booster

Jakey only ever did the slight twiching and quiet barking as if he was dreaming of chasing something or playing with something/someone. Harley on the other hand, when he was just a wee pup, he would twich up a storm. You'd almost think he was going to twich himself right off the couch, I would say it was more big kicks than twiches- it would be almost his whole body twiching to the point where you'd think he was having a seizure. Now, at 8 months, he only does the regular little paw twiches and little grumbles and whimpers.

9. LolaGatorDad

LolaGatorDad Boxer Pal

Yeah, I find it to be very adorable! My little girl has gotten going so fierce in the past that she actually has fallen off the sofa. It makes for some very entertaining times!

10. Chiefsmom

Chiefsmom Boxer Insane

Chief does this EVERY time he naps!!! His tongue flops out, his eyes roll back (while open) and he twitches like crazy! To be quite honest, he kind of reminds me of the exorcist (if his head spun around!) :LOL: But it's his thing; and I have to say, the more I see it, the more I crack right up!!! :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.