Trying to find a home for Bonnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Keep up with it, and I hope it all works out. Puppies are tough, but they don't stay puppies forever. If you work on it things will get better. Remember to keep coming here for help. Anything you're having trouble dealing with, you'll find great tips, advice and support from all of us here. We've pretty much all done the puppy thing, and faced the SAME issues... so you're not alone :)
Good luck :)

Last edited:

atlasmom911

Boxer Insane
Please give your puppy a chance. Puppies are alot of work but well worth it in the long run. My Sydney is almost a year old now and has been a real stinker but I would not give her up for any money in the world. Give your baby a big hug and kiss for me. Just remember your baby will always be your best friend. When my father passed away a few years ago,I don't know what I would have done without my Atlas. He layed with me all day while I cried and hugged him. He didnt even mind all of the tears running down his handsome face.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
I thought when I got Lily that I may have made a rash decision. Well, I have grown a lot right along with her. It IS a lot of work and temperance. It is tiring and a nerve breaker. But at about 4 months, something happened. She grew up a little. Not so much the bumbling puppy as she became a sweet young lady. Lots of training and perserverance. Lots of repetition and keeping to my word.

Today, she is 16 mos. old a such a wonderful girl. She is considerate, loving, silly, goofy, caring, and appreciative. For such a small time frame of questioning my decision, has given me an incredibly exciting life.

Just don't doubt yourself yet. You made the decision to get her with your heart........now you just have to bide your time for a little while to see her give back with hers.

Hang in there............boxerworld is here for you!!!

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
Just be patient. Your little furry baby will grow up and will have the priveledge of growing up with your skin baby. She will love you and protect you always. It is alot of work, but before you know it, she won't be a baby anymore. Tyson is almost 9 months old, and how he has grown since we got him at 12 weeks. She will become your constant companion and listen to your secrets. And remember that you always have us here who truely understand how your feeling, good or bad. You will enjoy this adventure your heart has lead you to. Just love her, and follow that gut instinct.

Indy's mom

Boxer Insane
Bonnie sounds like a normal, rambunctious baby. You sound like a completely normal, tired puppy owner. I respect and appreciate that you are taking steps to do the right thing for Bonnie. You deserve to be applauded for your efforts.

There's no doubt that puppies can make you a bit crazy, after all, they're always excited, they have so much to explore! learn about! places to go, things to smell, taste and hear! From their point of view it's all new and very exciting. You mentioned that you were considering hiring a trainer, good for you! appicon You might also consider getting into a puppy class. This way Bonnie gets to learn appropriate ways to behave with other puppies and you get reinforcement and reassurance. You will be taught at least as much as your puppy.

Books, I love books. Providing you can find any time at all to read with a baby and a puppy I would suggest some reading. One of my favorites is 'The Puppy Owner's Manual' by Diana Delmar. Extremely helpful. The top of my doggy reading list is 'The Other End of the Leash' by Patricia B McConnell. Basically anything written by Ms. McConnell is very helpful. So common sense and de-mystifies so much. Really helps to make the doggy world make sense to you and helps you to manage your life with your dog. You don't have to buy books either, search your library (can usually be done on the internet) or buy from amazon.com at extremely reasonable prices. I still keep these books and others on the bookshelf right next to my favorite chair and refer to them often.

If you decide to keep sweet Bonnie, your skin child will likely have the best friend of his or her young life. We got our first boxer when my boys were 3, 2 and 2 weeks old. Rocky watched over those boys better than I did. :LOL: After he was gone Rascal took over the job, my boys who are all grown up, still talk about these dogs with love and amazing affection. Indy lives with us now and my boys will stop simply to play with him, or take him running. The eldest who recently got married, picks Indy up and takes him home to visit with his wife. They have decided they definitely need a boxer pup before or soon after their first child, so that they can have the same amazing relationship.

I'm sorry this got soooooo long. My point is that if you truly love Bonnie, and from your posts it's clear that you do, you will make the right choice for her and your family. If re-homing her is right for everyone then do it with a clear conscience by allowing a rescue to find the right home for her. If you decide to have her become a permanent member of your family, expect some aggravation, frustration and more laughs, smiles, hugs and love than you can imagine.

Best of luck to you, your family and sweet Bonnie.

Last edited:

BonnieBoxer

Boxer Buddy
I see you started another thread on your boxer.

Have you decided to keep her?

We have decided to keep Bonnie. It has gotten much easier since we think she is housetrained(she hasn't had an accident in a week and she now whines and paces while looking at the window when she has to go). All the help/info this board has given us has also helped. Next week we will be bringing her to a puupy class to socialize her and on the 20th she starts with her training class. She is a great dog and we look foward to having her as a longtime friend and family member. Once again i have to say THANK YOU to everyone that has given me great advice to help with Bonnie.

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
We have decided to keep Bonnie. It has gotten much easier since we think she is housetrained(she hasn't had an accident in a week and she now whines and paces while looking at the window when she has to go). All the help/info this board has given us has also helped. Next week we will be bringing her to a puupy class to socialize her and on the 20th she starts with her training class. She is a great dog and we look foward to having her as a longtime friend and family member. Once again i have to say THANK YOU to everyone that has given me great advice to help with Bonnie.

I am so glad you've decided to keep Bonnie! And not to discourage you, don't let her fool you on the housetraining - just because she's "telling" you now doesn't mean she's always going to tell you at her age. You still need to be dilligent and anticipate her needs by keeping her on a schedule. The whole idea of housetraining doesn't really start to sink in until around 6 months old and even then they tend to forget everything they know when they hit the terrible teens.
Good luck!

BonnieBoxer

Boxer Buddy
I am so glad you've decided to keep Bonnie! And not to discourage you, don't let her fool you on the housetraining - just because she's "telling" you now doesn't mean she's always going to tell you at her age. You still need to be dilligent and anticipate her needs by keeping her on a schedule. The whole idea of housetraining doesn't really start to sink in until around 6 months old and even then they tend to forget everything they know when they hit the terrible teens.
Good luck!

When and how do you know when there really housetrained?

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that you can be sure that they are house trained until around 6 months old. She may think right now that she should go outside, but she probably doesn't understand that she must hold it, if she can't go outside. She may have a few relapses, but it sounds like she is well on her way. If she is asking to go out, that is a really good start. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.