Trimming Boomer's nails...playing a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
I spent quite a bit of time over the last two days introducing Boomer to the Dremel tool. I've been meaning to trim his nails for quite a few months. They were so long that even our three daily walks weren't doing much to grind them down. The wonderful thing with the Dremel is I could see the quick in all but two nails (darn black ones), and was able to trim just enough so that I didn't hit any of them.

I should have started with his back paws in the first place....as Boomer seemed to think I was playing a game..."shake a paw, get a treat." After switching to the back nails, alternatively giving Boomer a rub-down and sanding his nails, he relaxed quite a bit.

Once I got back to his front paws, he still thought it was treat time, so he was putting his best paw forward.

Note to self...when trimming your boxer's nails that are quite long, wear a dust mask, even if you sand them outside...boxer nail dust tastes exactly like human tooth dust when sitting in the dentist's chair while he's busy drilling away on a tooth. Yuck! Even Listerine doesn't seem to rid one's mouth of the taste!

Cheers,
Scott & Boomer

DanCat

Boxer Booster
How did you introduce the Dremel to him?? I want to do it to Sapphire but not sure how she'll take to it.

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
I haven't ventured into trying the dremmel on Kailee or Clyde, I'm just not sure how well it would go :eek: However when I get my nails done it is a dremmel tool they use, so I can attest to the fact it is not an unpleasant feeling. Boomer obviously thought this was a good time to show off, and earn some xtra treats, as well as distract dad from the pawsicure :)

Not long ago, I went in to have my nails redone, hubby was hanging out in the mall waiting and decided to come in and see how much longer I would be. He saw the dremmel being used, and loudly asked "Why the H@## are we paying $$$ for this when I could do your nails at home with my dremmel??" Scarey thought and not one I am about to entertain :)

Jean

boxer mommy

Boxer Booster
we are lucky at my house
Cassius andf Otto do the race track run in my back yard--part of it is on the concrete deck, their nails automatically wear down, I have never had to do the nail trim!

kit02

Super Boxer
I use the dremmel on Owen. It really didn't take too long to get him used to it. At 1st we just turned it on and showed it to him - to let him get used to the noise. Then it was a lot of file, treat, file, treat. Now we just give him a treat when we're all done. He's pretty good about it. He just gets a little restless by the last paw. I do walk him so they file down a little with that but I like the idea of him letting us dremmel if we have to.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Taste still on tongue

It's been over 12 hours since I finished Boomer's nails, and I can still taste the nail dust. Yuck! :-P

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
Boomer'sPapa said:
It's been over 12 hours since I finished Boomer's nails, and I can still taste the nail dust. Yuck! :-P

I'm wondering what his nails stepped in prior to you eating his nail dust ;)

Jean

Gruntsmom

Boxer Insane
buddy'smom said:
I'm wondering what his nails stepped in prior to you eating his nail dust ;)

Jean

AAAGHHH!!
There is a real good How to Dremmel site that I pulled up from a thread on BW.....lost it when my computer crashed last month, but I'm sure you can find it on a search. It is excellent and very, very detailed. I have been dremmelling Grunt's nails since he was about 9 mos, because I just couldn't clip his nails anymore........too nervewracking for the both of us :( . He didn't like the clippers, probably didn't like the tension he felt from me, as I was always worrying about hurting him. Anyway, we started out real slow, getting him used to the tool and sound.....then, a little filing (just a touch) on each nail on each paw. He wouldn't let me do much in the beginning, but slowly, over many days, he got more used to it........and of course, loved all the treats that went with each session. Now, when he sees me get the Dremmel out (and a towel because he drools all over me when he gets his treats :) ) and treats, he just plops in my lap and is ready to go. I don't know if any of you had the problem, but in the beginning, he wanted to lick the sanding attachment, so I had to be real careful. I've even heard of some dogs falling asleep during a Dremmel session. That won't happen here. But he is very relaxed now, and after we're done, I give him a good massage. My husband just sighs and says, "What a life.......I hope I come back as a boxer next time around!!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.