Traveling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Princess will be 6 months old in July and we plan on taking a trip. It will be a 15+ hr drive each way. I have found a sitter for Pugslee, but not for her. It will be for 5 days. Should I board her or take her with us? It has been weighing very heavily on my mind. I don't want her to be stuck in a kennel the whole time so I would need to find a reputable place to board her. What questions should I ask? If I take her, what should I expect?

Connie

YourFriendDeb

Completely Boxer Crazy
If it were me, I would take her along. We are planning a trip to Florida for a week and you KNOW both my babies are coming with us.

I just can't imagine boarding them...they would be stuck in a crate basically with only time out to potty and maybe a walk. No way. I know there are places you can take them that have "suites", but that can get expensive.

We took Legend on a 4 hour roadtrip when he was only 11 wks old and he did fine...slept the whole way.

As long as you get her out ever hour or so to stretch, have a drink of water and/or potty, you should be good to go! Have fun!

TayandRee

Boxer Booster
We are doing a 12 hour drive home the weekend of the 4th and taking our Princess with us. With my dh in the military, I have had enormous experience driving cross country, and have found that most rest areas have a pet area. We do happen to be staying with family though, so I am sure that makes our decision easier, but I don't think I could leave her even if we weren't. Good luck on whatever you choose :)

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Rocky always goes with us. If Rocky can't go we don't go ;) Most of our trips are to visit family and are about 7-8 hours each way. He does fine, he tries to sleep or will chew on a bone. We also stop often to stretch and give him water.

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Thanks!

I am actually going to see my sister that I haven't seen in almost 5 years. Her husband, who I have never met, doesn't get along well with dogs. I talked to her and it is ok if I bring Princess, but I don't want to get there and be expected to keep her in her kennel the whole time we are there. She is a reallly good girl and not very hyper for a boxer. My other main worry is carelessness of some people who don't own dogs just opening doors, and I don't want her to get loose in such unfamiliar territory. I am so torn!

Connie

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
I just wanted to let you all know what we have decided. I scheduled for her to board at a kennel cause I didn't want her to be somewhere she wasn't welcome. I talked to my sister and let her know and she said "No, don't board her, bring her with you." Apparently they were just concerned about how their cat and her would get along. So, she is going with us!!!! I am so happy, I was really upset about boarding her at such a young age. She really is a momma's girl and would be so upset without me for so long. But no worries now, SHE GETS TO COME!!!
On a side note, I wanted to know what you all think about Pet-eze. It is a natural calming formula. I picked some up to give her during the drive to be sure she doesn't get upset. Does anyone have any info good or bad on this stuff?
Thanks!

Connie

myrocky

Boxer Insane
I am glad that she gets to go Connie :) I don't know anything about Peteze because Rocks does awesome in the car.

When we went on our visits for christmas last year we had to go to Scott's parents house. Well they have a little yappy dog and two cats. I wasn't sure how they would all take to Rocks but I knew he would be fine. For the first few hours we were there I kept him on his leash so he couldn't take off after the animals and to get used to his new surroundings. It doesn't take long cause he is really good about going to other places. I don't even have to worry about him pottying in the new house. Anyway....LOL The one super scared cat was put in a bedroom for the visit and the other cat was fine so she was left out. The dog hated Rocks and growled at his every movement :rolleyes: but Rocks didn't go after the dog or anything so eventually he was allowed off leash. All was well and we made it through the visit. It is an adjustment but can be worked through ;)

One little tip, if I may :D Since you will be in new surroundings, to help ease into understanding where the potty is always use the same door to go outside. So whatever door you take her out say your word "outside" but if you leave to go outside use the same door if possible that way there is no confusion which door leads outside. We also use the bell system so where we hang the bells Rocks knows is the "outside" door. Good luck with your trip!:)

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Well, she did great!!! Not one accident the whole time. She laid calmly the entire time in the vehicle. She had one incident where she was out on the porch and wanted back in and scratched the paint off the door, but thats it.
I wish I could say the same for Pugslee. I went and picked him up and he and the inside of his kennel were covered in poop! I am still angry about it. I just had to throw the kennel out, there was no way to clean it up right. I don't know for sure how often he was even out of it, so I don't want to subject him to being back in it or any crate for a while at least, maybe never. He was being watched by a "friend" who has dogs of their own and wanted to watch him. We won't be talking for a long time.

Connie

Status
Not open for further replies.