1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tramatic Neuter

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Manzer, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manzer

Manzer Boxer Pal

So on September 4 I had my 10 month old boxer fixed. Everything seemed fine he made it through surgery fine and came home that same night. Everything seemed to be healing well, on day 10 post op he woke up and his scrotum was EXTREMLEY swollen, red and hard.
    I immediteley called the vet and took him in for anti biotics and anti inflammatories. The next morning (day 11 post op) his scrotum had started to turn black on one side. I called the vet (it was a sunday) and we agreed that the best thing for him would be scrotum remove surgery. But 2 hours later my poor babies scrotum burst and I rushed him into the vet. He had his scrotum removed and is now day 6 2nd post op. Has anyone else been through this with their fur babies? My vet was amazing and all medication and extra surgery were of no charge to me.

2. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Ummm that is a first for me.. Did they give a reason why this happened or what it was that went wrong ?
    Wishing him a speedy recovery

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I have never heard of that either. Most neuters are pretty uneventful.

I hope your poor baby recovers quickly!

4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

There was a boxer here two years ago that had a neuter and died a few weeks afterwards. He also had the same symptoms you described. But the vet ignored the signs and the poor boy lost his life. The issue was he was bleeding internally and shortly after his tissue became necrotic, and hence poisoned his blood. It was the vets fault for "missing a suture". He never sutured one side! I felt so horrible for her loss.

I am glad your vet was more proactive, but if any area of the body turns a darker color or black after surgery, it is deathly important to get them to a vet. If the vet writes it off or gives meds/antibiotics, then go immediately to another vet or hospital. There will be some redness, soreness and feel warmer, but should never get darker - a sure sign of internal bleeding.

I am happy to hear he is now safe and will be back to health very soon.

5. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

I think that's really nice that they did all that extra for no charge!

I haven't seen this exactly. We had a case where, a couple days after the neuter, the site got very infected and swollen. It was a battle that lasted a few weeks between our clinic and other emergency clinics but the dog wasn't getting better and the owner didn't want a referral elsewhere. The tissue was necrotic and sloughing off, dog was emaciated from not eating and persistent vomiting. He ended up passing away. We think what initially caused the swelling/infection was that she did not keep him quiet after the surgery.

Sounds like your boy is on the road to recovery though.

6. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

When I read your post I immediately thought of the same story that LILYLARUE mentioned. That boxer's name was TaTanka. TaTanka actually died less than 24 hours after his neuter surgery... not 2 weeks later. The vet's negligence was purely to blame. I remember reading that post and just crying. :( Several years have passed since then and I still think about it from time to time.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, neuters are quick and simple. Serious complications are rare. But no matter how simple it is still SURGERY and there are always risks. Thank goodness your boy's bleeding was not as severe as TaTanka's and you were able to get him to the vet for proper treatment before it was too late. I hope he recovers quickly and fully.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. Manzer

Manzer Boxer Pal

Parker is getting better everyday he is still hating the cone but I went out and spent the money to buy him a comfy cone so hes not as irritated. He did lose almost 8 pounds in the 10 days between the neuter and the scrotum removal but has gained most of that back. I cant wait for him to fully heal so I can bath him. A white boxer doesn't stay clean long regularly but after 2 suregerys his is in need of a good cleaning. Thank you everyone for the well wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.