1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by miasboxer, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miasboxer

miasboxer Boxer Pal

I'm getting a new boxer puppy and I wanted to know the best way to pottytrain him. I have another dog and she took almost a year to potty train. What's the best way to do it?

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

CONSTANT supervision! :) The more accidents you can prevent, the faster they are to housebreak.... and anytime you aren't watching the puppy is the perfect time for them to sneak off and have an accident. Eyes should always be on them, and if you can't directly supervise, then the best thing is to crate them.

Frequent trips outside. They should always be taken out after they wake up, after eating/drinking, after playing... and basically every 30 minutes outside of those things. And it never hurts to be a little paranoid and to just take them out anytime you "think" they look like they might need to go. When Juno was a pup I took her out every time she started to sniff the ground, and anytime she abruptly stopped playing. It's better to have a "false alarm" than it is to ignore subtle signals and end up with an accident!

Always go outside with your pup so you know if they go potty or not, and always reward with a party - lots of praise and petting, a tasty treat or getting to play with a toy... you really want to convey the fact that going potty outside is AWESOME and great things happen. If your pup likes to be outside and is playful after going potty, try not to head back inside right away, as that gives the impression that the fun ends after he goes potty. If you have the time, engage in some play for a couple minutes before going back inside.

Accidents are going to happen. Clean them up and move on. It's best to use an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle or Anti-Icky-Poo, don't use regular household cleaner. Don't scold him or rub his nose in it. If you catch him in the act, you can startle him with a noise like clapping or saying "hey!" to get him to stop, then pick him up and take him outside to finish his business out there - reward him if he does. Try to learn from the accident - was there maybe a signal that you missed? Was he not being supervised well enough? How long since he last went potty? etc.

Hope that helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.