Training retaliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalabear

Super Boxer
Well I decided it was time to take full control of our walk. Nala isn't a puller unless their are people or dogs she wants to great. Which of course is alot because people can't seem to ignore a boxer :) And of course she must be sociable and say hi to all. Well I decided what I wanted out of her, got her treats that are only for our walk and off we went. Have had great response from her in a very short time. Still working on the people but the dog part is better.

However now she has started acting up different times of the day doing things she has never done before or that we have trained her not to do. Nothing else has changed except the walk. For instance she usually sits nicely in the car. She will get a little excited when we stop expecially if its somewhere she know she may be getting out but nothing over the top. Yesterday she started jumping back and forth between seats and pawing at the door whining. Completely out of character for her.

She gets walked daily 2-4 miles and runs on alternet days plus wrestling, ball games, chase, always something. I am home with her all day and she goes everywhere with me so boardom is not an issue.

Any suggestions on why the regression in the other areas she was previously doing good at?

johann

Boxer Insane
How old is she?

As frustrating as her regressions must be, remember that dogs are not capable of "revenge" type thinking. I had to repeat that to myself multiple times a day when Johann was between 8 months and 18 months. :LOL:

Car issues always make me wonder if the dog is feeling carsick or anxious in some way. Does she get left in the car while you run errands? Maybe someone scared her and now she's associating the car with scary things. Johann went thru a period this summer where he wouldn't jump in the car because his toe touched the seat belt buckle and it was hot (once!)....so I had to leave all the doors open or run the AC.

nalabear

Super Boxer
She is 3yrs old and we have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She loves the car. If we don't take her with us she gets offended and pouts :LOL: She is left in the car but never for more then a few minutes. She never barks at people or goes crazy when we aren't in the car (we have watched to see how she reacts) She will sit in the front waiting patiently for us to come back out even when another car pulls in with a barking dog in it.

The problem isn't just the car though its at home too. We can take her out front with us off leash and she normally stays with us and if we see someone coming we send her to the porch and she follows directions well, but again she is not following direction well now and we have to physically help her to the porch. In the house she is getting a bit more demanding. When you tell her no and send her away she won't follow the command like she used to. Its like all commands are out the window except for on the walk/run.

I know she is not doing this to get back at me for making her behave somewhere else but it is interesting that it all happened at the same time:LOL:

johann

Boxer Insane
Weird. Maybe she's feeling more energetic with the cooler fall weather?

It does seem like they are "getting back at you" sometimes....:LOL: Goofy dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.