1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toy poodle problem

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Chinadoll, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chinadoll

Chinadoll Boxer Buddy

Well my grandmother got a toy poodle named Charly. His is too cute weighing only 1 pound 2 ounces. Charly is only 8 1/2 weeks old. The problem is he has become a little devil. Charly will run around growling and bitting your feet and toes. If you pick him up and tell him NO he will growl louder and bite harder while wiggling to get down. How would you train something that small to stop biting? evilicon

Charly will get in his crate to sleep on his own but if you put him in all he does is cry. He has already cought on to the potty training, but still doesn't know his name very well.

2. danny_aka_rudy

danny_aka_rudy Boxer Pal

Well I've got a Toy Poodle. Luckily with her I never had too many problems with her biting. Then again, I did not allow it. The main thing is when training them to be consistant. For example, when she puts him in the crate, don't let him out just for whining. If you do he'll learn that if he whines, he gets let out. Also, make sure you're not just crating him for no reason. I crate mine at night and during the day while I'm at work. When I first got her I crated her that first night.. and it was HE double toothpick. She yelped and cried all night. It took about a week until she was totally silent at night.

As far as the biting problem goes, I would always tell Princess NO! in a firm voice. That pretty much detered her. I also didn't let her chew on anything but her toys. One thing that might help is if you get some bitter apple (it's a spray they don't like the taste of). Spray a little in charlies mouth. The spray what you don't want him biting. He'll get the idea pretty quick that it doesn't taste very good to bite that. :)

3. Chinadoll

Chinadoll Boxer Buddy

Thanks for your help. I will tell my geandmother to get some bitter apple spray, because the firm NO thing is not working.
    As for the crate training, I have told her to let him cry, he
    will get over it, but she would rather have him with her.
    She does not work so Charly is not crated during the day.
    He even goes to the store with her in her purse.:rolleyes:
    Danny_aka_rudy how did your boxer act with princess?
    China and Jazz really want to play with charly but him
    being so small I'm scared they will hurt him. Besides
    Charly growls at them.

4. danny_aka_rudy

danny_aka_rudy Boxer Pal

How does Charley Growl? Is it a playful growl, or an I'm going to eat you for supper growl? Make sure to know the difference. :) Puppies like to play, but he may be trying to dominate the other dogs. If that is the case, you might be in for trouble trying to mix them. I was lucky enough to have had Princess for 8 months or so before we got Ethan. We got Ethan when he was 7 weeks old, so they were about the same size (though Ethan did weigh over 2 times what she did). He's now quite noticeably bigger than she is, even though its only been several weeks. She will instegate play at times, so I'm not too worried at this point, although I try to watch them close. One thing that helps here I think is the fact that Princess is pretty submissive. I have no doubts Ethan will be the dominate one.

When they first started playing together Princess would Yip alot, now she hardly ever does. Ethan is starting to learn to be a little more gentle (most of the time anyway). I would be pretty leary with an 8 week old toy playing around the boxers, especially if they play rough between eachother. Just try to keep them around eachother, and make sure to supervize VERY closely, especially if Charley is agressive towards them, cause he may not know how small he really is. :) BTW I'm hoping to get some pictures scanned soon so people can see them. They're a riot. If you have any more questions let me know. I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what has / has not worked for me. :)

Regards,

Danny

5. Chinadoll

Chinadoll Boxer Buddy

When Charly growls it all sounds the same. It just gets
    louder when you pick him up to get him to stop nipping
    our toes.

I do let my shiz tu, Oscar play with him. The only thing
    Oscar wants to do is hump Charly though, but thats Oscar
    he tries to on everything and everyone. :rolleyes:
    China and Jazz are over a year and I think are to
    big to play with Charly, they also play to rough for a baby.

Oh Danny my grandmother wanted me to thank you
    for your help. She is going to get the bitter apple
    this weekend.

She took Charly to the vet for his shots and he
    now weighs 1 pound 6 ounces and doing great.:D

6. danny_aka_rudy

danny_aka_rudy Boxer Pal

Wow, hard to believe that Princess was ever that tiny. :) I think she weighs in close to btw 4-5 lbs now. (oh so heavy) With your dog that humps everything. It's a show of dominance from what I've read for them to mount like that. Is he nuetered (sp?). I've read of females mounting males before too.

Just remember to stress to Charley's momma that if she lets Charley get away with certain things now (i.e. - letting him out of the crate when he whines) then he'll ALWAYS be that way, if she can deal with that, that's great. If not, she needs to be a little more firm with him. In general Poodles are VERY smart dogs, who catch on VERY quickly. He'll test his boundaries, and they need to be set, or he'll be murder. I know alot of my friends, hated poodles, but they ALL like my poodle. She's very gentle, cute, and playful. She does not growl and bark much at all. She's no YIP YIP dog, and she's very loving to basically everyone. Alot of why she is like she is has been attributed to her training, and consistancy. BTW, she knows EXACTLY what she can / can't get away with. :) She picks up really quick what mom and dad will let her do, and takes advantage of it all the time. :) She loves to give kisses, especially to lick off makeup or just clean your face in general, but only if you let her. :)

Another thing, I do NOT play tug of war and games of that nature with the dogs. I do not want them to tug on something I'm trying to get away from them. When I grab it it's MINE! Princess knows this, I tell her to Drop It, and she normally complies. If she isn't all you have to do is put your hand over her head so she can't see, and she drops it. :) Very important if you've got young ones about, cause they always want to grab their toys back, and I didn't want Princess getting aggressive with them for doing so. In my experience, don't play any games with them that induce aggressive behavior, or he'll always be growling. He is still pretty young though, and a puppy, so as long as he's playing, its normal for them to growl, but if he is growling AT YOU, when you pick him up, nip it in the butt now. Or he'll be a mean little dude.

Also, if you could, let me know how the bitter apple and suggestions work for your Grandma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.