TOTW could be my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniador

Boxer Booster
I've been searching for answers to my boxer girl's horrific gas and why she won't eat. I had decided to add probiotics to her diet when I stumbled across the posts about TOTW being sold and numerous stomach upset complaints. (I think I'm going to add probiotics anyway)

I'm so disappointed, but her issues started recently and I should've considered switching foods... but it used to be so highly rated I didn't think to ask if they had changed manufacturers. Thanks everyone for posting such current and helpful information.

I should login more often!

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Yeh, it's very unfortunate. TOTW is the only non-chicken food that Kisaq will eat (that doesn't cost $80 a bag). He has pretty atrocious gas and stinky poops too. But at least his poops are a good consistency now.

He does fine on grains oddly enough.
If anyone knows of a food brand that has no chicken or turkey products (at all), and that isn't in the range of $80 per 30lbs (I can afford $60/30lbs), please let me know of it! I've searched and searched. It can have some grains... but no beet pulp.

It would be nice to switch from TOTW if I could. He really doesn't like the taste all that much either.

Bathel

Super Boxer
Yeh, it's very unfortunate. TOTW is the only non-chicken food that Kisaq will eat (that doesn't cost $80 a bag). He has pretty atrocious gas and stinky poops too. But at least his poops are a good consistency now.

He does fine on grains oddly enough.
If anyone knows of a food brand that has no chicken or turkey products (at all), and that isn't in the range of $80 per 30lbs (I can afford $60/30lbs), please let me know of it! I've searched and searched. It can have some grains... but no beet pulp.

It would be nice to switch from TOTW if I could. He really doesn't like the taste all that much either.

Merrick has a few that meet your requirements... The Real Beef Whole Barley has not chicken nor turkey and is roughly 45 to 50 dollars for 30 lbs.

Real Beef Whole Barley + Carrot Dry Dog Food for Adult Dogs & Puppies | Classic Recipes from Merrick

Fromm also has several chicken free formulas that are in the 60 dollar range to 70 dollar range. I think the pork and Pea formula specifically states chicken free, but it is about 70 dollars for a 26lbs bag.

Grain-Free Pork & Peas Recipe dog food - Fromm Family Foods

Kisaq

Super Boxer
I forgot about Merrick. I tried Merrick back when I first got him... and he didn't like the taste. But that may have been a chicken formula. I'll try it again I think. Thanks for the tip. I like that company.
Maybe they'll send me a sample.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
You could try Nature's Domain from Costco. The Salmon and sweet potato has no Chicken or Turkey. My dogs do really well on it and it is very reasonable. It only cost $40 for a 15.9kg bag.

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
Jan
Do you feed the Natures Domain or was this just a suggestion? I am wondering about using in rotation with TOTW or maybe not using TOTW any more. Seems I have to deal with horrible tummy issues once a week!

Kisaq

Super Boxer
You could try Nature's Domain from Costco. The Salmon and sweet potato has no Chicken or Turkey. My dogs do really well on it and it is very reasonable. It only cost $40 for a 15.9kg bag.

I've heard great things about Natures Domain. But we don't have a Costco anywhere near us in Fairbanks, AK. :(

I've switched to Natural Balance (lamb and rice) and he's doing great so far... he likes it. And he LOVES their dog food rolls.

I tried the Merrick and Fromm non chicken - but he didn't like it. :/
Who would have thunk such a food motivated dog would be so picky!! LOL.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Jan
Do you feed the Natures Domain or was this just a suggestion? I am wondering about using in rotation with TOTW or maybe not using TOTW any more. Seems I have to deal with horrible tummy issues once a week!

Yes, I feed Nature's Domain. I alternate between between the Salmon and the Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.