1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

totw and mange, runny poo!!

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by kathysboxer, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

7-10 days. I start off with 1/8 cup fo the new for 24-48 hours, if he does okay with that then I doublt to 1/4 for 24-48 hours, if he does okay with that then I double to 1/2 for 24-48 hours, then 1 cup so on and so forth. He does the best on the Pacific Stream version of TOTW or the Bison and sweet potato formula of NB. CA Natural gave him the worst reaction of any of the foods I've ever tried so personally I stay far far away from that one. For us I've stuck with NB LID or TOTW Pacific Stream (he's allergic to the proteins in the other versions), but now I'm trying Earthborn's Primitive to see how that's going to work. It's been not quite 24 hours, so far so good hoping it keeps up.

2. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Thank you for sharing your "switching process" with me. I also need to make sure the other dogs do well on whatever food I rotate with. I am just really surprised Tyson will eat the lamb one, as he never liked lamb in the other foods I've tried. I only fed him 1 cup this morning, but he hasn't poo'd yet. He was too busy protecting the neighbors from themselves LOL. He absolutely loves going on their porch to visit, but I had him leashed and he couldn't. He just wanted to be acknowledged LOL.
    I think when I do the rotation, I will use the Pacific Stream. Even if I rotate with all TOTW, I guess it's better than nothing.
    Our local tractor supply and Agway is starting to carry the good foods, so my choices are getting better.
    I will be looking for prozyme on Amazon today for sure.

3. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Just an update, and more questions LOL.
    Atlas is doing better, no coughing, mange is under control (no spreading since it began). He is doing well (actually really well) with TOTW lamb with 1 tsp pumpkin. He is being fed 2 times a day, 1 cup each time. We are now starting to give him a bit of snack around noon (breakfast is usually 7am and dinner around 6pm). My problem is he always seems to be starving. Even Buster is acting this way. Buster has become a counter surfer (never did that on raw) and they both get into the garbage. We put 2 bricks in the bottom of the garbage can so they couldn't topple it. They figured out how. Last night they got into it and was eating potato peelings. This morning they were eating coffee grounds! Thankfully no ill effects from that!
    Atlas isn't able to handle raw at this point, so I need some ideas on fillers to put in his food that won't cause more runny poo.
    Or should I just try giving a bit more food at breakfast and dinner? The bag says to feed 3 1/4 - 3 3/4 cups per day for a 5 month dog weighing 30-40#. They weigh appr. 35#.
    I am wanting to switch them to the salmon formula as I've seen people having great results with it as well. They have been eating lamb for a good month now LOL.
    On a good note, Tyson and Bailey are doing great on TOTW.
    Also, for rotation, how important is it to rotate not only protein sources but different brands as well? Example: perhaps Wellness, Blue Buffalo, TOTW, etc?

4. BxrMommieNAZ

Well if it says between 3 1/4 and 3 3/4 and you are only feeding 2 cups total then you're WAY under the recommended feeding. It's okay to be (and usually should be) 1/4-1/2 cup under, but over a cup a day under is quite a bit. I'd increase them up to 3 cups a day and see if that helps 1 1/2 cups in the AM and 1 1/2 cups in the PM, keep an eye on weight to make sure they don't pack on the pounds, as long as they don't gain weight then that should be fine.

Good luck.

5. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

I was thinking 3 cups was a lot, but I when you said about it not being that much, it made me realize it really wasn't. I will try increasing it starting tomorrow morning. I just hope it doesn't give Atlas the poo's :(

6. BxrMommieNAZ

Well just keep in mind that in 1-2 months you'll be reducing it because they won't be considered puppies anymore, but if they're getting thin or having those types of issues then yes you may be under feeding.

7. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Atlas is thin in the sense of just being a skinny boxer. No ribs visible, but not in the fat aspect either. Just the way he looks. He has tons of energy (he just did 3 laps around the house outside in the snow LOL) and eats. Just having problems with poo and him and Buster being hungry.
    Buster only has ribs visible when he's laying down. He's a bit more muscular than Atlas is. But he isn't fat by any means. Just muscular. I'll have to post pictures of them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.