Torn ACL -- Any alternative to surgery???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarrieS

Boxer Pal
Moxie is 3 and has a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament. She's been favoring it for about 4-5 months, though we've been resting her as best we can, not allowing her to play with friends -- which is killing her!
We went through this with our first boxer, Sadie, whom we lost in May at age 10. She had the TPLO surgery in BOTH knees at age 5 and recovered fine, with full activity, though she was showing signs of arthritis and weakness going up stairs during her last year. Other than that, it was successful and worth every penny to allow her to play like a puppy again.
The surgery is expensive, though, and the recovery very difficult. I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Does anyone know of any kind of conservative, non-surgical treatment for a torn ACL?

CarrieS

Boxer Pal
Thank you to both replies for all the great information. After all the research, Moxie needs the surgery anyway, but I'm really glad that we explored other options. I learned a lot in the process.

DlcVta

Boxer Pal
Hope surgery goes well. My girl on her 1 1/2yr bday last month on the 5th had surgery. She had a TTA instead of TPLO. Which one are you having done?

Status
Not open for further replies.