too late to crate train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genni

Boxer Pal
My Bailey is 6 months now, and in typical 'boxer' behaviour, a total home destroyer!!

She's been pretty slow at learning 'what not to chew' when we go to sleep at night, and even though she doesn't potty in doors during the day she does in the night!

Could any one give me some advice on how crate training works best? As i don't want her to feel like im punishing her by getting a crate, but i have to try something, before she chews the house down!

may thanks!

lexintitus

Super Boxer
It is definitely not too late to crate your babe. If you do a search, on this site, you should find alot of good and useful information on the right way to crate. I know what you're going through. You can't keep having your babe tear up your house. We did the crate with Lexi as a last resort and she took beautifully to it. Wish we would have done it earlier. Do a search and let us know how you get on. Best of luck :)

genni

Boxer Pal
Thank you Lexintitus!

Iv actually just been out and brought a crate for her but i cant get her to go in it, she seems really scared of it! Iv offered her, her favourite treats put her favourite blanket and toys in there, my 2 year old daughter (who Bailey follows any where and every where) got in there and she still backed off from it scared!!!

I think its going to be harder then i thought!

lexintitus

Super Boxer
My suggestion would be to just leave the door of the crate open for awhile. Hopefully, curiosity will take over and your babe will venture in and take a sniff around. To get Lexi to go in her crate for the first few times, I'd hold a treat in between bars, at the back of the crate. If I just threw the treat in there, she'd just look at it. Holding it at the back, and calling her name in a extremely happy tone, got her excited and she went in and got the treat. Now, she immediately came back out but while she was taking the treat, I praised her like crazy. With Titus, I fed him in his crate for awhile. Feeding time is such a happy time for him so soon he learned the crate was good thing. If she goes in AT ALL, praise her. Hope that helps. Keep trying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.