1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toilet training cats

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Chief's Pappy, Jun 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief's Pappy

Chief's Pappy Boxer Buddy

Has anyone had any luck toilet training thier cats my wife has been doing this for about 5-6 months now and it seems that the cats are starting to come around pretty good. We read somewhere that it can sometimes take from 8 months to a year before they really get the hang of it. My wife wants to stick with it and be as consistent as possible with it so I was just wondering if anyone else has had any luck with this and if there was any tips or advice anyone could help with.:D

2. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

Haven't tried this myself but have read about it a bit, not sure if my FAT cat could do it:LOL: I am not sure of his weight, will know monday when he goes for check up and vaccinations.
    Just curious, how is your wife doing it?? The bowl in the toilet? Strainer?
    Keep us posted, I'd like to know how it works out.

3. Chief's Pappy

She uses a roasting pan with a small hole cut in the center and eventually the hole will continue to get bigger until the pan is gone.

4. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

Are you putting litter in the pan?? Just curious incase I try this someday;)

5. Chief's Pappy

This is Chief's Mammy...What I have done is gradually raise the level of the litter box to the height of the toilet and slowly transferred a smaller litter box to the top of the toilet seat...lid raised. While changing the size and height of the litterbox I also weaned them away from the fragrant clay clumping litter I used in their litterbox condo that they used to use. I use a flushable litter without fragrance and I have gradually given them less and less litter. The book I read about this said to tape saran wrap on top of the toilet and gradually take away the litter while creating a hole increasing in size in the Saran wrap cover. This did not work for me. My cats freaked out. They wouldn't go to the restroom and would race through the house acting like they were crazy. They finally relieved themselves on the floor. We have two cats, one girl "Shadow" and one boy "Bruiser" that I am trying to train at the same time. I got on line and looked up toilet training cats and read where some people used aluminum roasting pans inside the toilet bowl, so I thought I would give it a try. They cost about a dollar at our local Kroger. I am at this stage now. I tried putting little holes in it but they didn't like that. So I bought more RPs and put a hole the size of a dime in the middle. That was okay...I have increased the size of the hole gradually over the months to the size of a baseball right now and they are still going in there. They were scratching in the pan and then jumping on the floor in front of the toilet and going. Now I have the pet gate on the floor in front of the toilet and they don't like to step on that because of the holes are the size of their paws and it will move back and forth when they stand on it. The book I read said cats could be trained in a few weeks but it is 5 months now. I am using hardly any litter which I like but they need constant watching. If this works I'll be in heaven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.