1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To remove or not to remove..

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Forlorn, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

So I took Farah into the vets today because the bump on her butt changed size/color a little bit recently and yesterday it was bleeding (she's licking it a lot). The vet said that it was wart like but recommended having it removed and sent off to a lab. At the cost of $674 ouch. I have money saved up so I could do that but not sure if it's worth it at that price tag..I'm torn.

here's what it looks like - https://imgur.com/a/4YzBn

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You could always get a second opinion. :)

msnitsirk likes this.
  3. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

That's true. This wasn't my usual vet at my clinic and I could also try going somewhere different entirely if I had to.

4. Jan

If it was me, I never send something away to be tested. It just costs extra money. Unless you can afford to give Chemo, which is very expensive, I would rather not know if it was cancer. :( Good luck!

joeys mom likes this.
  5. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

In my mind, I always weigh the cost vs. the age of the dog and what you are willing to do for the dog of said age. I have no idea how old Farah is but I can tell you that Sammie was 10ish when she started having problems out of the blue. I loved my Sammie with all my heart and I would have done ANYTHING for her but I know that I would not put a 10 year old boxer through extensive tests or chemo or anything like that. I decided against any extensive testing beyond the normal blood-work and such that told us everything was "normal." She passed peacefully in her sleep after a week of home hospice care by me.

With that said, when she was 5 she had knee surgery and it gave her another 5-6 years of a very happy boxer burning life running through the yard. The first attempt at surgery almost killed her and I was scared to send her to the second attempt but good doctors and a patient anesthesiologist eased my mind and gave her a second chance. When she was 5 she needed that surgery but when she was 10 it would have been cruel. Trust your gut. You know you furbaby.

6. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

Farah will turn 8 in April. I'd like to think she has a good 4-5 years left but our fur babies always get taken from us way too soon :( The bump still looks angry and bleeds a little a week later so it's looking like I might have to get it removed even if it is benign.

7. Jan

If the lump is bleeding, you obviously need to do something. I would just have it removed as cheaply as possibly, but that is just me. :) Good luck with your decision. I am sending positive healing vibes to Farah! ------->>>>>>

8. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

Farah not only got the growth on her butt removed today but a small lump on her back as well. The latter is something I noticed October of last year but the vet then had just said it was probably a harmless sebaceous cyst. I traveled a bit of a distance to go to an old vet for a second opinion and he said that he might as well take care of both while she was under. So far she's ok. A little groggy and out of it but doing alright. Hoping she heals ok and that the test results on the growths don't show anything scary.

joeys mom likes this.
  9. Jan

I hope Farah recovers quickly and the tests come back negative. :)
    Good luck!

Forlorn likes this.
  10. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

I hope Farah is back to normal in no time :)

Forlorn likes this.