To crop or not to crop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex C.

Super Boxer
All I can suggest is do your research and ask the vet what kind of crop it will be and whats involved. You can probably even ask a few vets to get an opinion, but if your dog is a mix, then don't do it. When I got Brandi, I did a ton of research and I went ahead with the crop. I don't regret it. She was a bit lethargic that day, but soon she was back to normal. It took about a month of taping and her ears now stand evenly and correctly. She looks so beautiful with her ears standing straight up. If I get another pup, I will prob. have it done again.

Pdiddy

Boxer Pal
Thanks for the input..

He is indeed a purebred registered Boxer.. I guess my post wasn't clear--a couple comments made to me is he'd look like a mix if he wasn't cropped.. It's a big decision and I am going to sleep on it tonight and wake up with a decision.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
It is your decision, ultimately. If you have a skilled vet, the pups show very little discomfort from a crop. Like Cheryl, the pups I've had cropped are all up and playing a few hours after the surgery, as if nothing at all had happened. I've never had to use an e-collar on a post-crop pup personally, though if you did I know that can make them miserable. If you don't have highly-recommended-by-show-Boxer-breeders vet to do the crop, and an experienced person to help you tape, it may be best to skip it. If you have those things, then the crop and aftercare will very likely be a small blip of irritation in your dog's life. (Also, remember that there is a large difference between "medically necessary" and "medical benefits" - there are some medical benefits to cropping, as well - and as one who has groomed cropped Boxers for the show ring, I can attest that they have plenty of hair inside their ears; fully as much as, if not more than, many other short-coated, erect-eared breeds such as Basenjis, Pharoah Hounds, etc. ;) )

Alex C.

Super Boxer
Well good luck on your decision. Your pup will look like a Boxer regardless. Just remember, you have to decide soon. There is a point where you can't crop anymore, I think its around 15wks. After that, the ear crop won't stand because the cartlidge will begin to form to an ear that sits. Thats another factor I chose to go ahead and crop. A longer 'show' style crop will also take longer in taping vs. a shorter pet crop, and make sure your vet tells you about how long the crop will be. You don't want a super short pit bull style crop either. Good luck! :)

Porterbaby

Boxer Booster
"I would never do cosmetic surgery on my dog"

Same here. I would never put my dogs through this. I don't see the benefit.

JohnMD.

Boxer Pal
He is indeed a purebred registered Boxer.. I guess my post wasn't clear--a couple comments made to me is he'd look like a mix if he wasn't cropped.. It's a big decision and I am going to sleep on it tonight and wake up with a decision.

Boxer people will know right away that it is a Boxer. The others will mistake your dog for all kinds. I have heard of some really rediculous ones.

The decision is up to you. I personally don't see any reason to put a dog through a medical procedure that is not necessary. Besides, they are so cute and smooshy when they are floppy. Kind of have that "I'm goofy" look going on that matches the personality perfectly.

Rosieren

Boxer Buddy
I showed my 7 year old niece pictures of cropped and natural boxers and asked her which she liked better. She said the floppy ones were her favorites and then pointed to the cropped ones and said she didn't like them because they had devil horns. I love Rocky's floppy ears! They are so velvety and look so cute when he tilts his head at strange sounds.

Ranvan

Super Boxer
As for cropped ears making him or her look more like a boxer...won't work.

My last boxer had her ears cropped and she was always mistaken for a pit bull. Many a young guy thought she was "cool" because they thought she was.

And pits and similar dogs do get their ears cropped as well.

One final thought...since a Showtime Mentor weighed in, if this dog is for show, it is mandatory in the US, but anyone I talked with said not to do so unless I wanted to show her. The vet I used was the one in SW Michigan well-known for doing show boxers' ears. It is not that he did not do a good job...in fact, I went back for tapings from him for many weeks....it is that I saw the pain and discomfort after the fact. Yes, she got over it, but still my conscience said that it was a surgery so that I could think my dog looked better.

BTW, I can understand either way, and do not judge you for either decision. Sleep on it.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
One final thought...since a Showtime Mentor weighed in, if this dog is for show, it is mandatory in the US, but anyone I talked with said not to do so unless I wanted to show her.

Actually, it isn't mandatory ;) It never was technically (though probably was in practice). Irrespective, that is past. The latest US boxer standard provides specifically for dogs with natural ears. See www.boxerworld.com/standards for the text. Times are changing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.