1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To breed or not to breed

Discussion in 'Canine genetics and heredity issues' started by swooley, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swooley

    swooley Boxer Pal

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    We originally wanted 1 boxer. The mother of the litter sat on the puppy that we had originally selected and broke his front leg. The breeder suggested that we take another pup from the litter. We ended up taking Wyatt, a flashy fawn, and the original pup Doc, flashy brindle. Yes, his leg was broken but we were looking for companion dogs not show dogs. The breeder gave Doc to us free of charge but she wanted the rights of his first breeding.

    Here is the issue. Wyatt has been a medical nightmare. He has had generalized Dmange, a surface tumor removed from his ear and now he has been diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. He is just over a year old. The breeder is still wanting to breed the sibling. I'm having a problem, in good concience, breeding Doc. While he has appearred healthy so far, I feel that he shouldn't be bred because we don't know if Wyatt's problems are hereditary. I do not want any more puppies being out there and other owners having to live with the chaos that we have had to endur and still endurring over the last year. Any advise?
     
  2. Louise501

    Louise501 Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    4,458
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't know anything about breeding as I do not intend doing so but if you already know of a problem my advise would be no, don't breed. Surely the parents of your puppies should have had all the health checks too if you are considering breeding.
     
  3. BoxerBubbles

    BoxerBubbles Completely Boxer Crazy

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    915
    Likes Received:
    0
    did you have to sign something saying YES you would breed him?
    i definitely would NOT do it.
     
  4. gmacleod

    gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2002
    Messages:
    15,273
    Likes Received:
    1
    Get them both neutered straight away. That removes the possibility.

    There is absolutely no question that the pup who had generalised demodex must *never* be bred from. The defective immune system that allows demodex to develop into generalised form is hereditary. And it isn't just demodectic mange that a dog with a defective immune system is vulnerable to. Allowing that to be passed on to future generations would be irresponsible in the extreme. So go with your gut there - get that pup neutered immediately.

    As for Doc... Frankly, I wouldn't even consider breeding from him either. Do you really want to invest the thousands of dollars that *need* to be invested in determining whether or not he is breeding potential just so someone else can use his sperm? Why prostitute your dog for someone else's benefit? But if you do decide to do that, here are some of the health screening tests you're going to have to have done to ensure that he's not going to pass on serious diseases to any offspring: www.boxerworld.com/health_testing It is impossible to responsibly breed a boxer without having screened for those diseases - they're very common, and they're genetically inherited.
     
  5. swooley

    swooley Boxer Pal

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0

    Wyatt was neutered as soon as he recovered from the demodex. Our intention as never to breed him since there are just too many dogs in need of homes now. But the breeder still wanted to go forward with breeding Doc, even though several of the puppies from her litter of 12 contracted the demodex.

    But we did sign a breed agreement with the breeder for Doc. I just cannot believe that the breeder still wants to breed him after all of the problems that may be related to him. But agreement or not, I do think that I will go with my gut and have him neutered. It is MY name that is on the registry for Doc so it will be MY name that will be linked to future litters. And no (given all of the problems with his sibling), I am not willing to plunk down thousands of dollars for health checks although he is a fine specimen of the breed.
     
  6. Zannie

    Zannie Completely Boxer Crazy

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2002
    Messages:
    874
    Likes Received:
    0
    i would find a vet that would be willing to say in court if nesasary that the dog could not be bred because of health reasons and have him neutered.....

    ann
     
  7. vitalsignusa

    vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2005
    Messages:
    95
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree w/gm. There's something wrong with this picture. You said several of the 12 came down with this? That's several more owners going through the same thing, several more puppies who had to suffer. Go to the vet, get a statement as to the risks of breeding. Take that right out of the equation and then get your dog fixed. Any reputable breeder will understand that you are not only protecting your reputation but theirs as well.
     
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  8. carrie3797

    carrie3797 Boxer Booster

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2005
    Messages:
    193
    Likes Received:
    0
    Follow Your Gut! Get That Boy Neutered!
     
  9. Dempseysmama

    Dempseysmama Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Messages:
    1,231
    Likes Received:
    0
    This sounds like wise advice.
     
  10. Net45582

    Net45582 Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2002
    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    0
    ....don't breed-get them both spayed/neutered and enjoy their companionship! They will love you even more for it!
    Wanda Kiddo & Chancey
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page