Tis the season for Fire Works :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalabear

Super Boxer
We are still 2 weeks away from July 4th and already people in our neighborhood are setting off fire works. I am so mad. Nala completely lost it last night while the people who live in the house behind us had a grand time making loud popping noises.

We put the thunder shirt on her which helped with the pacing but not the shakes and we turned on some music to drown out as much of the noise as possible which helped some. They finally stopped for awhile and Nala calmed down and just as we were getting ready to do the potty before bed they started up again :( I had to wait for them to stop then take Nala on her lead outside and walk around with her for a good half hour before she calmed down enough to go potty.

Last year I spend most of the week of the 4th on the couch because Nala would have to pee, but as soon as we would head outside more "bangs" and she would dash back in the house to hide. I don't know if I can handle 4 weeks of this and I know she can't. I am so irritated.

For all those with new pups, keep a close eye on them and make sure you have a good hold while outside during this time. This is when alot of dogs take off and are hurt or killed :(

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Yes, they are starting here too, and I'm sorry your pup is scared, but honestly I have dogs (and cats) and we still do poppers and fireworks. I'm not going to limit my fun, or ask my neighbors to limit their fun, due to pets (mine or anybody else's). Personally we don't have an issue with our animals being scared, but my GSD barks at the noise going on and will carry on. I've found putting him in his crate helps to quiet him down some. But some of it is just going to be repetition. I had a Boxer that was afraid of them, over the years I found if I didn't play into the fear, it was not anywhere close to as bad as it was if I played into it. I didn't sit up with her or baby her, we just kept things normal and acted like nothing was going on and as the years went on it got a lot better to the point that by the time she passed she didn't care about them anymore (and hadn't for a couple of years). I also found that putting her in her crate helped her quite a bit as well.

I agree definitely to keep them leashed or don't put them outside alone during "firework season", but I definitely woudln't be upset with your neighbors. They're having fun, giving the kids memorable experiences, they can't worry about if someone has a scared dog or frightened baby, if that were the case nobody would ever get to have the fun that comes with the seasons. It comes twice a year (new years and 4th of July) typically, lasts 4-5 weeks, it's a celebretory fun time, and those are memories that last forever. We're not doing it yet, as it is a little too early IMO, but pets or no pets, we'll be lighting off our fireworks and doing our poppers and celebrating our freedom this year 100% for sure, as I enjoy them, as does hubby, and our 9 1/2 year old thinks that it is absolutely fantastic.

electric1

Super Boxer
I don't have any problems with other people setting off fireworks. ABBY tends to shy away from them and doesn't like all the noises and loud bangs that they make. My concern is that this year it has been so dry around here and that any errant spark could be potentially hazardous as to igniting a fire. Although, several counties here in North Central Texas have induced bans against them, there will always those that can't resist from buying them thinking nothing will happen.

Lisa H

Completely Boxer Crazy
They started in WNY too...our next door neighbors were setting them off on Friday. She gets sooo upset, she ends up vomitting. The vet gave us xanax last year for storms and fireworks but she was too scared to take it :(

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
They started in WNY too...our next door neighbors were setting them off on Friday. She gets sooo upset, she ends up vomitting. The vet gave us xanax last year for storms and fireworks but she was too scared to take it :(

If she truly needs it I'd recommend "pilling her" (ie pushing it down her throat) rather than relying on her to voluntarily eat it. That way she gets the benefit of it but doesn't have to calm down enough to actually eat it.

llee

Boxer Pal

couldn't help but notice your location and occupation- I was a PO in Chautauqua County many years ago...haven't lived there in over 18 years though...small world
to make my comments relavent to this post though- this will be our first 4th with Bodie so I'm hoping our new neighborhood in Texas won't be too crazy with the fire works....

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Where we live now they outlawed ALL fireworks in the '90's. Back then there was a lot of new construction with wood shingled roofs and several house fires were started from bottle rockets. So instead of regulating what you could have they just banned everything, including sparklers! (A bit over the top IMO.) Thor doesn't like fireworks and Arabella really hasn't been exposed to them, but considering her fear of thunder and her reaction to the rattles in the RV on vacation I am sure it would be an issue. I have been lucky enough to have a finished basement to take my dogs into when such things have gone on in the past which has been very well sound proofed by the surrounding ground.

Most places have noise ordinaces. After say 10 or 11 pm, there shoudn't be any fireworks going off. Just check with your local officials. You'll just have to take your dog out to potty after that time. If they are still setting them off after that time, just calmly and politely talk to your neighbors. Explain that you understand they are just having fun and celebrating our country' s birth, however you would like to safely walk your dog at such a time and you have waited for them to have their fun. Most people are understanding and will work with you. I have done this with neighbors. My DH was in the Army and had to get up at 5:30am, and the fireworks were stil going at 11:30 pm. They had just lost track of the time and apologized. If you know they are not the understanding type, just call the law without ever saying a word to them. The police can not tell them who called. Good Luck!

Lisa H

Completely Boxer Crazy
Fireworks are illegal in NY but I live on the border of PA where anyone can buy them and it is not strongly enforced. My husband is a County Sheriff and they still have the nerve to let them off while the patrol car is in the driveway. I am going to ask the neighbors to give us a heads up next time so I can bring Justice to my parenst house. I don't mind that they do it...I just hate cleaning up the vomit:( I guess what I allow, I encourage!

llee - it is a small world...been with the Co for 12 years and my husband for 19 yrs. He use to be the K9 officer and his breed of choice was GS. Now he is crazy about Boxers

nalabear

Super Boxer
I don't mind the fireworks and I don't expect them to stop having fun because our dog is afraid. I expect everyone to set off fireworks that is what its all about. My issue is its still two weeks away :( and here it usually continues for a week or two afterwards. This is the earliest its started here though. and instead of two weeks I now get 4 :( Its one of those things, you plan for something to last so long, and then something happens and screws all that up and it lasts longer. You were mentally ready for 2 weeks but that is shot to peaces and now you have to deal with 4 weeks and it takes time to get your head around it and mentally prepair, not to mention you still were supposed to have a good week or more to get ready and thats out the window now too.) :)

We do not coddle Nala when this is going on, however if she is frightend she won't go pee and will hold it, then we get the wake up call to take her out, and if they are still setting them off back in the house we go until they stop again, until she is comfortable going out to pee. She will lay back down but her bladder will be so full that she will leak, then I have to take all her blankets to the laundrymat cause our washer isn't big enough to wash them. Its such a horrible cycle.

Last year we had two weeks of this. Of course my dh works early in the morning so I sleep on the couch until Nala is able to pee so she doesn't disturb him. We had several nights last year were they were going off until 2-3 oclock in the morning (not from our neighbors though). so I was going to bed as my dh was getting up for work :(

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Well, maybe instead of keeping a lot of blankets for her just put out 1-2 sheets, that way if she leaks you can easily throw those in your washer, but she still has something down so it doesn't seem weird to her? Just put her normal blankets away for the next 4-6 weeks and replace it with eithre less of them or a few sheets instead that will fit into your washer. And maybe talk to your vet about an anti-anxiety medication to use on an "as needed" basis to help calm her down a bit.

Just a couple of ideas anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.