1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on how to get Dutch to Pee in one area?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by MrsBeeks, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsBeeks

MrsBeeks Boxer Booster

Me again ;)
    I have decided to reclaim my yard, because no matter what I do, Dutch's pee just burns the crap out of the grass. So we have a special area for him to go in.....and we started him off yesterday and he did great.......pee'd in his area everytime....he won't poop there, but he pee'd so we are good with that. Now, enter today......he refuses! He absolutely will not pee or poop in his area......infact, he has been "holding it in" all day long because he refuses.
    I'm hoping that eventually he is just not going to be able to hold it any more and he is giong to have to go pee in his spot.....but I can't understand why he is being so stubborn today. :(
    Any tips on how to entice him to go?? Is it going to hurt him if he holds his pee and poop to long?? :( :(

2. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

All I can say is be patient ,keep bringing him to that area and maybe use a treat as a reward for when he pee,s there .
    I imagine that if he really really needed to pee that he could not hold it and he would start to dribble...
    Anyhow good luck and I am sure he will catch on very soon..especially if he gets a treat when he pee,s

3. MrsBeeks

MrsBeeks Boxer Booster

Oh my gosh!!! This boy is so stubborn!! He held his bladder and bowels from 11pm last night until 4pm today when he finally couldn't hold it anymore!! Sadly, he didn't use our designated area, he decided to let everything go while on his walk with my husband, so we are still 0/0 for our backyard pp spot. :(
    But......because we top dressed and reseeded our whole yard, it is all fenced off except his 12' x 6' run, so, he will eventually just have to go there......I hope. I really don't get why he won't just go pee there.....he has lots of room, and it is literally only 10' away from where he used to pee all the time before anyways. Geeeeeze. :(
    I just pray he doesn't end up with a serious bladder infection from holding his p for so long! :(

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I wish you luck! Dogs can be very stubborn!

When I had Markus, I moved from an upstairs condo, to one on the ground floor with a small garden. I really hoped that he would use the garden to go to the bathroom, if he really had too, but he just wouldn't do it. He could be really desperate, with diarrhea, but he would not go in the garden. If I took him out the door and across the road he would immediately go. :( I finally came to the conclusion that he considered the garden part of his house and he was not using it to go to the bathroom. Silly boy!

5. MrsBeeks

MrsBeeks Boxer Booster

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    Not only did we finally achieve a pee pee in his new area.....but we also achieved a dump! In the rain no less!!! Wooo hooo!!
    You are definitely right, patience paid off! Now, we just have to keep it up.....which will be easy because as I had said, the whole yard is fenced off to allow the new grass seed to grow, and it will be that way for the next 3-4 weeks.
    Hopefully that will be enough time for Dutch to get used to only using his new area. :)

6. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

Good for you!! And Good Boy, Dutch!! :)
    Who says you can't teach a stubborn boxer a new trick?!?!

7. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Good Boy Dutch! I'm glad that you are not as stubborn as Markus was. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.