Time in crate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwteam

Boxer Booster
I have been reading alot on this board and I am really starting to rethink getting Rommel. I am almost ready to cry!! I love the guy so much and really want what's best for him! When I go back to work in August Rommel will be in his crate from 8:00-12:00 and then from 1:00-4:30/5:00 every day. He sleeps in his crate at night too. I am feeling so guilty... this is too much time in a crate, right?
I am wondering (after reading some more posts) if we should try him sleeping on his doggie bed in the bedroom instead of the crate at night. He would not be able to get into the whole house as we have the hallway gated off. Would this make a big difference for him? Would it be better for him not to be in the crate at night if he is in there during the day? I am a huge animal lover and want to do what's best for Rommel. Please lend me some advice. Thank you so much!
Forgive me if I sound stark raving mad, but I just want what's best for the little guy!

RolenKisses

Boxer Insane
I think that you're looking at the crate as punishment. It's best to keep him in the crate if you can't watch him at all times and he isn't reliable to be left alone. They actually like the crate if it's used correctly. Rolen sleeps in his at night by choice. Is your crate up in your bedroom at night? If so, he probably thinks of it as his bed. A crate is a great tool when used correctly.

northernboxr

Super Boxer
You don't have to crate him for that whole time. for instance, you could crate him in the morning and then confine him to a tiled, puppy-proofed room for the afternoon.

I know that when my pup was very young, I would keep him in the bathroom where he had a bit more room to roam...and if he had an accident, it wasn't the end of the world. Just remember to hide the toilet paper and keep EVERYTHING out of reach! ;)

Once he can hold his bladder for a bit longer, he'll be fine in the crate as long as he gets plenty of exercise when you're back from work :)

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
If he's happy just in a bed at night and doesn't have accidents - then I'd say it's a better way to go. That many hours a day surrounded by bars is indeed a lot. So if it's not necessary, then some free time is preferable.

ELubas

Boxer Insane
Hi. Is Rommel a pup you have yet to get or an older rescuse? A pup is good for about an hour in the crate for each month of age. Your daytime schedule sounds a lot like mine with a little longer break at midday. I have a dog walker. When I have a pup my walker comes for a mid morning and mid afternoon break as well. Mostly for potty :) As for the night I kept my little ones in a small crate in my bedroom. By theh time they were 4-5 mos they were ok at night either on thier bed or the sofa downstairs where they are allowed. My older boy sleeps with me sometimes :) You may find with a lot of exercise they are not so mischevious at night. I tire mine out and never really had a problem with them at night being "free". Tired dogs are incredibly relialbe in my experience. You just want to wait until you are sure they are housebroken. Anyway , I really am impressed with the thought you are putting into this. I have a feeling a person as responsible as you is unlikely to over crate thier dog. Good luck with your decision :)

natesprinces

Boxer Buddy
I was the exact same way that you are....I hated leaving Roscoe in his crate during the day then getting home and having to make him sleep in there as well. Truthfully, others are right! If you don't ever use the crate as punishment, they really don't mind being in there. I had one crate for Roscoe that I thougth would be big enough for him once he reached full size, and really it wasn't. He didn't like being in there, but once I got him a bigger one, he doesn't mind at all. :) It is nice to see that I am not the only one out there that worries all day about their fur baby being in the crate all day. I always apologize for leaving him even for an hour.

rwteam

Boxer Booster
Thank you to everyone who wrote. I feel the same way... even if I am gone to go shopping I feel bad. He does go in his crate and does like it though... I guess I just have to make sure he is not in there too long and get a healthier viewpoint on it. I just will do everything in my power to make sure he doesn't have to be in there too long.
One thing that is so funny though, is that everytime he leaves his crate he HAS to bring out his little lamb "person" toy. If he forgets, he will run outside, go to the bathroom, then run back in to get it. He never forgets!! What a goofball! Personally, I'd like to think he's the smartest dog out there!!
I wish I could send a pic of him and his favorite toy, but the board won't let me add anymore pictures. Something about one exceeding size limit. I can't delete it either, so I guess I am stuck. But it sure is one darn cute picture!!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Something about one exceeding size limit.

Guess you didn't bother reading any of the site rules, the help section or the notices you get in the gallery upload process then, hmm? You have 20,000kb of disk space available, of which you've used only 234kb. So rather a lot of room left ;) You can try for the next 20 years, however, to upload a photo that is larger than the size limit specified for individual photos, and you will not be successful. OR you could read the site rules and photo guidelines, and reduce your photos to within the size limits (and other requirements). Then you'd have no trouble uploading them.

rwteam

Boxer Booster
Gmac,
Thanks for the message... I am not so good with uploading photos, so I will read the rules again and see what I can do. It's good to know that you will be able to help if I am having problems. Well, here goes nothing!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Good ;) The most likely problem is that you're trying to upload a photo that is more than 100kb limit in size. So you'd need to reduce your picture to less than that before there is any hope of it being accepted. There are other requirements, of course, that also need to be complied with - but you'll find those in the help section. There is also a photo upload step-by-step movie in the newbies section if more help is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.