1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

throwing up after drinking water

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by dagney's mom, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dagney's mom

dagney's mom Boxer Booster

my 10 month old boxer puppy has been throwing up after drink water--- he hoards down water and throws up everything that is in his stomach. we used to let him drink from the shower faucet, but then he started throwing up. now, when he drinks from his water bowl, he drinks so much that he is still throwing up. should we limit his water??? i am at a loss at what to do

2. mancin

mancin Boxer Insane

This seems to be a common thing w/ boxers, as I've seen multiple posts on this.

Here are a couple:
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61071&highlight=too much water
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55865&highlight=too much water

It seems most people either limit the water, or teach the dog a command such as "enough" to get the dog to have a break from drinking for a minute.

Gulping a lot of water at a time could cause bloat, which can be deadly.

I suggest do a search for "gulping water" or "too much water" and you'll find a lot of people with the same problem.

3. dagney's mom

thanks for the links... keep your fingers crossed

4. kit02

kit02 Super Boxer

Where did you get this information from? (Other than this site) Maybe you meant gulping in a lot of air while consuming a lot of water? I’ve heard that drinking a lot of water right before and after a meal can lead to bloat but not just plain drinking water.

You don’t want to deny him water (not leave it down) b/c then he’ll really hoard it down when he does get it. But I do take up his water before and after meals. When Owen drinks A LOT of water I just distract him. That usually does the trick. When we go out to play to the park or something I use a gulpy for his water supply and it works great. I control how much water comes out. My problem with Owen is not throwing up when he drinks too much water (which I hear is pretty common) but he actually chokes on it which isn’t good b/c that can lead to infection if it gets in his lungs. One vet told me if they do drink too much water its better they throw it up rather than try to keep it down, as someone mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61071&highlight=too much water

I agree with this, if Owen is REALLY out of breathe I will take his water up until he calms down a bit.

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

If you don't want him to drink too much water in one go, the simplest way to achieve that is to use a small water dish ;)

You can refill it frequently, so he always has reasonable access to fresh water, but (obviously) not immediately after he has just emptied the bowl.

6. Poetic_thing

Poetic_thing Boxer Insane

Our girl Dakota used to throw up water all the time which of course was because she was gulping too much at once. We continued to always have fresh, cold water down for her but what we taught her her was to "take a break". We would let her drink so much and then say "take a break", she would stop, take a breather for a few minutes and then go back for more. After doing it this way, she no longer threw up water. We were happy and she was still able to get all the water she needed.

7. nanabear

nanabear Banned

Try getting water into the food.
    By feeding canned, adding water to kibble, feeding barf or making your own food.
    I noticed Mack drank much less water when I started making most of his food and feeding mostly raw meat.
    I just had a "scare" with a foster - I was really worried she was in the first stages of bloat. Seems I got her over it but since then I've been adding water to her food. She seems to love it and is taking in fluid with the kibble.
    I've read that some dogs are just water gluttons (like Mack is with food!) and will drink water when they don't need it just because it's there (they often have problems with bladder control too).
    I think it's called polydipsia (sp?)

8. Shanz

Shanz Boxer Insane

firdt thing i thought of was bloat too. Cinnamon is a glutton wit water too.

9. mancin

mancin Boxer Insane

Yes, I'm sorry. That's what I meant. :) Typically (at least when Tyson drinks water really fast) he seems to gulp quite a bit of air. I must have been distracted when typing that. Didn't mean for any confusion! :)

10. dagney's mom

so yesterday i tried everyone's advice and i let ganey drink for a couple of seconds and then i took the water away, and then a couple of minutes later, i let him drink so more. the problem is that he ALWAYS wants to drink water. when i put the bowl in the sink, he tries to get on the counter to get the bowl... and now, he is trying to drink the toilet water. Im guess my question is: how much water should he be drinking??? and is there a time when i should take it up at night?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.