Three boxers versus two boxers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
I currently have two adult boxers (3 and 4 years old both neutered males). I had been thinking about adding a third dog to our mix and the breeder that both of my guys came from just happens to have a 3 year old spayed female that is looking for a new home. I am a little undecided since my two get along so well - does anyone have any advice on adding a third dog? Does it throw off the balance of the two and one is left out when playing? Thanks for any advice that three boxer owners can provide.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
I have 3 dogs but only one is a boxer. I will say, there is never a dull moment nor is one dog left playing alone. It does seem to be more work from 2 to 3 dogs. But two of mine are rescues with a bad history, so they are more needy than the boxer. One thing I do find, is that if one wants to play, the other two gang up on that one. It can get a little out of hand sometimes. Loving three is more difficult cause I only got two hands. It is pretty tiresome. I have to be honest. But if I had to give one up........I think i'd give up my skin kid first! LOL

Bufords Pop

Boxer Buddy
I have 3 boxers- same set up as you're considering, 2 males 1 female, all fixed.. We've always had at least 3 and for awhile had 4- never more than one female though.. It's always been fine, as far as them getting along.. Throughout the years the specific dogs have changed but the breed and the lone female have been constants.. Outside the fact that feeding, care, and other expenses will be higher, it's always been a pleasure.. Getting along with everyone else (including humans) has never been an issue- at least not for us.. Maybe we've been fortunate but it's always worked itself out.. They play all day & then sleep on top of each other all night.. Sometimes just two will play, sometimes all 3, sometimes they all veg out alone-just like humans..

This has just been our experiences, but we've found that 3 has been the perfect # for us.. If you have any specific questions maybe I can help answer them for you- if not I'm sure someone can..

Chiefsmom

Boxer Insane
I have three dogs (two boxers and a lab mix). My first two were males and we just recently introduced our three year old female rescue a few months ago.... Adding a female to a household with two current males is the way to go if you're going to add a third dog (due to dominance issues). This was suggested to us by our rescue organization; and it's worked out very well.
Three dogs is a circus... but very fun. Never a dull moment!!!!!!!! :) Good luck in your decision!

Super Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I have 3 boxers--2 females (14 mos and 7 yrs) and a male (5). Everyone told me that the females would fight, but they gang up on the male:LOL: . He's really strong and can be a stinker, so he probably deserves what he gets. No fighting though--never and I do not allow dominance behaviour between them. It's a constant free for all they race around and play all the time.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I had 3 boxers. Everyone got along great! My biggest problem was transportation. I have a Mustang convertible. So the youngest rode up front which I don't recommend because of the airbag. If I could, I would switch vehicles with DH for the day. He has a midsize SUV. Even with that, on road trips I had to get a cargo topper. My dogs travel well so we go on trips frequently.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Thanks everyone

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I think I have decided to hold off for now partly because I travel with my dogs alot and getting three of them in the car is a bit much. I have not ruled it out completely but I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I think I have decided to hold off for now partly because I travel with my dogs alot and getting three of them in the car is a bit much. I have not ruled it out completely but I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again.

You can always do what I did............buy a bigger car! LOL That's right, I went out and bought a new "Dog Car" just so I can fit all 3 at one time! Who's yer Momma! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.