1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thora won't eat.... pancreatitis or ?? (liver/kidney bloodwork update)

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Tuff Love, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I am glad Thora hasn't had an issues, and I hope that continues.
    Do you have Amazon Prime? If so Sojo's is a little cheaper, $66.99. That is a $5 savings a bag, and there is no shipping. Unfortunately I am only getting about two weeks out of a bag so it is getting expensive. She really likes it though. If I could figure out what to add to stretch it out, that would She in not one for fruit and veggies. I suppose I could add peas and/or potatoes though. I just don't know how much to add. And I am not sure she would eat the peas. I guess I won't know until I try. I have a bag of frozen peas in the fridge....So I guess we will be trying sooner rather than later.

As for the Hills, in the last year or two of Thor's life I had to resign myself to the fact that was going to be what he ate. I went through all the quality low fat foods and nothing worked. Hills was the only thing that didn't cause any pancreatic flairs. Sometimes you just have to resign yourself to what works.

2. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

I agree with gatorblu, I also tried all kinds of different foods and diets and had to use the vet food. I was dealing with pancreatitis that was never caught on time and stage 2 kidney failure caused by the pancreatitis. Gauge ended up eating Royal Canine veggie formula.A dog with no meat, there was nothing else that worked for him anymore. I had to do what worked.

3. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

Ah maybe try adding some quinoa to there diets, it's a plant protein. Low in fat

4. SherylM

SherylM Completely Boxer Crazy

I'm chiming in a little late here, but can you add more meat to the Sojo's without upsetting her tummy? I used to buy turkeys on sale for 99Cents a pound and debone them and add the meat to the Sojo's. Or what about adding ground beef or turkey? Sorry your poor girl is still having problems. Also regarding pancreatitis...if you have insurance I would have the test done for peace of mind. We just had a bought of it here and Henry' was showing any of the usual signs.

5. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

Sorry I don't get on here as much these days, but I appreciate the suggestions! So far so good! This is probably the longest stretch in a long time with no issues. Yes Pam, the Sojos goes fast. It lasts a bit longer for us because we mix it with dry. How's Arabella handling it? Losing any weight? I usually shop around each time I buy it and can usually get it for about $67/bag. Sometimes I save with autoship, cancel, and sign back up later lol. Gotta play the game! Sheryl, we do buy the Complete, so it has the meat added to it. I think it's just the low fat content that causes her to be so skinny. Sojos compared to other foods is very low cal too. I can't thank you enough for suggesting this food though. Were it not for Sojos I think she would have died by now from malnutrition.

In regards to the possibility of pancreatitis, I do have to wonder since she hasn't had a flare up on the new routine. If she ever has to go under for any other reason I will have them check for sure, but I can't see putting her under right now just for that (my budget isn't as flexible as it used to be). I just hope we caught it before any major damage was done. I know her system has suffered to some extent because her liver and kidney levels were higher than they should be. We're going to have her bloods run again at the end of the year to see where things lie. It can take the body a while to recover from just one episode. I have some milk thistle at home that I considered trying on her but I'm afraid to add anything just yet.

6. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

So glad Thora is doing better! Arabella is holding her weight at 60 lbs,but I need to add about another 2-3 lbs. on her. She lost weight with switching her food so quickly and the surgery for the epulis. If she were to get sick again she will have no back up to sustain her. I tried adding peas, but she wasn't going for it. She actually spit them out in a line on the floor. lol I am going on vacation this week so when I get back I will some potatoes and may be some extra meat to her food and try to bulk her up a bit.

7. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

Just a quick note they do a blood test for pancreatitis and send it to the lab. No need to be put under.