1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thora won't eat.... pancreatitis or ?? (liver/kidney bloodwork update)

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Tuff Love, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Murp.mm

Murp.mm Boxer Insane

Hoping Thor is feeling better.

2. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

So after putting Thora on strictly Sojos for a few days, it was clear that she just wasn't getting full. I started adding the Wellness back in (only 1/4 cup) and after a day and a half of this she wouldn't touch her food again and seemed like she wasn't feeling well. When I put her food on the floor, she would sniff and walk away. Again, I threw out the food and put down only Sojos for her... she ate every last bite and was looking for more. I guess the Wellness is no longer tolerated at all (and she clearly knows it). I'm at a loss on what to do from here. To try to help fill her belly we're back on strictly Sojos with a little cooked rice added in and we're dividing her dinner into 2 meals. I tried giving her dinner in 1 meal the other day and she ate it so fast that she came right into the living room and threw it up (all over my shag rug). Fun. So 2 meals it is, and I think Im going to look for one of those bowls with the thing in the center to force her to eat slower. I think we'll do this diet for at least 2 or 3 weeks and then I'll have to try slowly adding a low fat food into the mix or try Hills to help her maintain weight.

3. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

Pam- which Hills did you have Thor on? I was looking at the ingredients online and the regular Hills i/d has 14.8% fat... that's too high, no? Or did you have him on the w/d formula? That one is 9.1%... that's real low.

4. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Poor Thora & poor you !! I hope that you find a solution to the issue soon .. Sending healthy <<< vibes >>> you way ..

5. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

Can you do more than 2 feeding a day? The idea with a pancreatitis dog is to not let the stomach get empty. You need to divide up the daily meals by at least 3. Once the stomach is empty the pancreatitis kicks in the juices it produces to help digest food start to eat the stomach lining and more. Hence a sick puppy that will not eat .

Roge likes this.
  6. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

Right now we're doing 3 meals, but they're not spaced as evenly as I'd like. She gets her whole breakfast in the morning, and then 1/2 her dinner when DH gets home from work (around 4) and the other 1/2 a couple hours later (closer to bedtime). So far she's doing ok on the combo of Sojos & rice, but I'd like to eventually replace the rice with something that actually has nutritional value :/ Not going to rush into anything just yet though. I want to give her system a chance to rest and recover.

7. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I think Thor was on the r/d diet which is only 8% fat. He was extremely to sensitive fat. Keep Arabella under 12%.

Tuff Love likes this.
  8. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

Pam, I thought I would update... we slowly introduced Hills i/d over the last 2 weeks into the Sojos & rice mix and for the last 2 days she's been getting exclusively Sojos and i/d (50/50). No tummy upsets, no loose stools... pretty seamless transition in fact. She hasn't had a relapse of sickness since I last posted in here about it, but also hasn't had any particularly stressful situations to set her back, aside from a couple shortish visits from family members. So I'm glad that we've found a combination of foods that is working at least for now, but between the two foods it is breaking my bank (New Regimen every 6 weeks: 1 bag of Sojo @ $72 PLUS 1 bag of Hills i/d @ $80 = $152 every 6 weeks). I'm not all that fond of the quality of Hills food either and I hope I can eventually find something better that's bland that she can tolerate. I'd give her strictly Sojos if it didn't cause her to lose so much weight.

9. silly24boxer

silly24boxer Super Boxer

I know it's very expensive, but if it's working I would be very scared to change it. It's is so hard to mess around and find something that works. I agree I didn't like using vet foods either but sometimes you have to do what works. Do you have pet insurance? I cannot remember. Some pet insurance companies cover special diets.

10. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

I am VERY scared to change foods lol. But the cost... UGH. Between my baby and the dog I'm going to be in the poor house! We do have pet insurance... I've never thought to check if they cover food. I feel like they'd lose an awful lot of money lol. I'll look into it though. I'm starting to look into other foods *just in case* we decide to try something else down the road. I'm reading good things about California Natural (at least as opposed to Hills), and I'm tempted to try some of Wellness's Simple Solutions that are lower in fat or their reduced fat turkey/chicken formula. We always thought Thora had a chicken sensitivity because every formula she was ever on gave her issues, but this Hills i/d formula is chicken! So now I don't know what to think. The only food she never has issues with is Sojos, so that will forever be apart of her diet. At least I know it's pretty decent quality ingredients. I did look into Honest Kitchen once but it was much higher in price and fat content is also higher.