Thinking of getting a 2nd boxer, have 3 kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

brpansan

Boxer Pal
I have a boxer that will be 3 on March 31st. He is a male fawn. I'd like to get a second boxer, but worry about protectiveness and jealousy over the kids. Man (our boxer) is very protective of the children (ages 3, 8 and 9). He plays with them, wrestles with them and is a wonderful companion. As any boxer owner knows, they are very playful. If we put a second boxer in our home that also wants to wrestle with the kids, will the new boxer understand it is just play? Would Man attack, trying to protect the kids from what he may think is an attack on them? Would the boxers compete for the children's attention? Not sure what to do here. Man has NEVER shown aggression to people or animals.

sgbtab

Banned
if you get another boxer do some research on male to female they seem to get along best.I also think that another boxer will know how to play with everyone they are all clowns clowicon

Elyse

Banned
We have 2 boxers and 1 skin baby. Our new puppy (3 months) and our son (1 yr) play and crawl all over each other. Nestle (2 1/2 female) watches over them but never exhibited any jealousy. She is like the mom watching her babies play. If porter gets too rough with the baby, Nestle just nudges him away. It is adorable. We have not had any problems. Good luck!!

Jamielyn

Super Boxer
I have two boxers (5 yr old male and 8 months old female) and two skin kids 5 and 2. I have had no problems w/my two boxers getting along or both skin and fur kids getting along together. My female Isis likes to play alot with my 5 yr old dd. They usually play chase thur the house or wrestle around some. My male boxer Zeus doesn't really care to play with either of my kids. He will just lay down and let the kids play around him. If he gets tired of them he gets and moves to a different room.
I would suggest you look into getting a female boxer for your second boxer. The male/female combo seem to work best.

B&L'sMom

Boxer Pal
Hey there. We've got two boxers and two children as well. I would be leary of getting another male. Our boxers are both males and even though neither have ever shown an ounce of aggression toward the children, they get snippy with eachother during play sometimes. Now, granted, our oldest boxer, Beau, is not as old as yours (he's only 1) and our youngest, Luke, is going through his "adolescent" phase. I know this contributes to them getting snarly at times and Luke especially is "showing his stuff" right now so it may mellow out some. We've just had to alter their environment some to be more conducive to them not doing everything together anymore, which they have always wanted to up until now. They still very much enjoy romping and playing together in the yard (it's fenced) but there seems to be some argument over who is alpha when it comes to the house, and all of us. Just food for thought. . .

BoxerDaneFam

Boxer Booster
Murph was about 2 1/2 when we brought Hugo into our home and Hugo was about 2. I have twin boys that were, at the time, 4-4 1/2. Murph and Hugo never got into it over the boys. They were the best of buds...they would get too rough and get into it once in a while, but I wouldn't hesitate to have 2 males again. Right now I have male/female Boxers and a male Dane, everyone of course is fixed.

Boxers are such clowns..they have so much fun together and just love kids.

bkidd

Boxer Booster
If you're this concerned just get a puppy not another dog that he'd feel a need to be protective over. With a pup he'd be the alpha dog and there would be probably no problem except for a little jealousy maybe. Just love'm both alot! I'm sure when you make up your mind you'll enjoy your decision. Good luck.

bondgrll

Boxer Pal
Advice

Wow! I would definitely get a female...actually I would NOT get another dog involved, but if you have to get another dog, definitely go with the opposite sex. I've seen too many same sex dogs (especially two females but also males) become problematic as they reach adolescence (2-3 years old) and it can get ugly. But I suppose genetics also have something to do with temperment...that's a toss-up. Knowing what I know now, I would keep my boxer as my ONLY dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.