1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thimerosal (mercury) free vaccines

Discussion in 'Holistic care' started by Caney Creek, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I hope I'm posting this in the right place... was about to tack it on to another thread but then decided it was important enough to warrant a new thread. :)

I just read recently that there are a few Rabies vaccines on the market that are Thimerosal Free. Thimerosal is a form of Mercury that many vaccines include as a preservative. From one of the sites I read this information, it seems as if Merial has had a Thimerosal-Free Rabies vaccine out for a few years now, although I have no idea how commonly it is used in practice or if it's one of those things you have to request.

DogAware.com Health: Vaccinations for Dogs

The omission of mercury doesn't make the vaccine 100% safe and I'm sure many people (probably me for one :)) will still try to avoid vaccinating for as long as possible, but for those of us who MUST get the Rabies vaccine for our dogs, this is definitely something worth looking into!

The same article also talks about another "safer" vaccine alternative to the regular killed and MLV (modified-live-virus) vaccines, something called recombinant vaccines:

Again, these findings don't make vaccination completely risk-free, but for those of us who are going to be vaccinating our dogs anyways, it is definitely worth asking your vet about Thimerosal-Free and Recombinant vaccines.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.