The Underbite...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MypupShooter

Boxer Booster
I noticed Stella has quite the under bite. Shooter never had this, and am concerned that it may pose some problems in the future? Lately, her lips are often getting stuck under her teeth. Take a look at this pic: http://www.boxerworld.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=79727&ppuser=39220

What is the correct standard for a boxer’s under bite? Is her’s very extreme? And do you think it can cause any health problems going forward? Her parents did not have this…

Thanks!

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
She probably just has an extremely undershot jaw. Disco's lips get caught on her teeth all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Personally, I haven't heard of any problems arising from an undershot jaw.

suzyqdogsmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
SuzyQ has quite an underbite also. Her lips get stuck behind her teeth all the time, but she has never had any problems with it. She looks really goofy sometimes, but no problems.

BigDies

Boxer Booster
Diesel's underbite isn't as severe as your girls, but it looks normal to me! I work at a vet and we had a little girl boxer come in and her jaw was so undershot that she would never be able to put her bottom teeth under her lips, they were completely out of her mouth. I think that could maybe cause some problems but your girls are no where near as severe.

darrylpm

Boxer Pal
Cindy has an underbite too but i dont really care because she looks beautifull as it is accept that the thing that worries me is that in the standards it states that "Neither the teeth nor the tongue should ever show when the mouth is closed" and i'm going to mate her after her next estrus and would like a show dog from her..............does anyone know if the pups would come with the same problem?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
would like a show dog from her..............does anyone know if the pups would come with the same problem?

Yes, very likely they would. You don't get correct puppies from incorrect parents. If you want to breed, and produce good quality (show quality) puppies, you actually need to START with a correct bitch and dog. Faults such as teeth/tongue showing may not sound like that much, but its potentially a very serious defect indeed. The usual cause is known as "wry mouth" and means that one mandible is longer than the other. At its extreme, affected dogs aren't even able to eat properly. If you breed from a dog with this fault - even if its not that extreme in her case - it *might* be that extreme in the case of her offspring. Aside from the obvious issue of responsibility (it isn't responsible to breed dogs likely to have physical defects that can affect quality of life), you're very very unlikely to get a show quality dog from that.

If you want to become a breeder, there's a right way and a wrong way. One requirement for the right way is to begin with a show quality animal (and breed her only to a show quality stud - NOT someone's pet). There are quite a few other requirements around health screening on the prospective parents also - most of which can't be completed until minimum 24 months of age. If your bitch is only 10 months now, that gives you a good 14 months to learn about those things (though as above, if she actually has a wry mouth, she should not be bred from ever). I'd suggest finding a show breeder to take a look at her, and give you an honest evaluation of her potential.

EAO76

Boxer Insane
My Nano (see my avatar) has a crooked (wry?) mouth and her teeth & tongue stick out the side all the time. I think its endearing & it’s never seemed to have caused her a problem but she certainly isn’t a show dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.