1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The terrible Skeeter Beater (long but good)

Discussion in 'Stories' started by K9LUVR, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9LUVR

K9LUVR Boxer Booster

Hello everyone, I am Kara and I am going to tell you how I became the mommy to such a great dog! It all starts back in August of 2004. My younger brother Kevin wanted a dog so badly he could tast it. Being 19 and freshly graduated Kevin still lived at home with my parents, but had a great job making great money and a brand new truck. The only thing missing, the dog. So Kevin went to the local humane society and looked at several dogs. None seemed to fit the description of the type of dog he wanted. So he left his phone number there and moped home. About a week later a lady called him to say that they had a boxer. She didnt give too much information on it just asked him to come look at it. He immediatly called me. ;) I have taken care of many animals and done my share of basic training and fostering.So Kevin wanted to know all about boxers. I pulled out my dog encyclopedia and showed him what an Ideal boxer looked like. He fell in love immediatly. He rushed to the humane society to adopt the dog. Well when he got there he was stunned. This dog did not look or act like a boxer should. Her name was Skeeter and she was about 8 months old. He could see every bone in her body Her back bone was frightenly visible. She was filthy and smelled foul. She was laying down and didn't want to play. The humane socity lady said that a few of her ribs were broken from abuse and the scars were perhaps from someone useing her for dog fighting. Well having this little dog look at him with her big "I'm sorry" eyes broke his heart and he ended up adopting her anyway. Well a few days went by and they cleaned Skeeter up and fed her and she started to come around. They said she was such a lover. They called Kevin and said he could get her early if he promised to get her fixed right away. So he did. When he brought Skeeter home she was terrified. My family has 8 children total and three of them young. Although I was living at my own house, my parents house is a bundle of energy. Skeeter did not know what to think. When my dad came home Skeeter took one look at him and peed right there on the floor. Perhaps it was because he resembled the previous owner. Well as the weeks went by Skeeter got used to being loved,fed, and spoiled with every kind of treat and toy.The only thing was now she was getting no training and no dicipline. About another two weeks went by of Skeeter tearing up the house and being unruly and my dad had enough. So I volunteered to take her and "foster" her. So Skeet moved to my house with my 3 year old mini dachshund Max. Poor Max didnt know what to think! Here comes a 45lb ball of fiery energy into a once quiet home. Well training went very well and so did her growing and healing. Her fur started to get shiny and she began growing. She learned basic hand ques and commands in a flash! Well the real test was socilization! I went and bought a bark park pass for the two of them. Skeeter did Fantastic! She loved it. She must not have been used for fighting for very long because although she is definatly alfa female she knows when not to push it. The bark park seemed like her best outlet of energy. Her behavior got much better as long as I took her at least three times a week. Well Kevin was amazed at all her progress and decided to move to an apartment. He asked if I would want to keep her and of couse I agreed! Skeeter was such a great dog and she worked so hard for me I couldn't or really wouldn't give her up! So now I have had Skeet since the begining of November and She is full grown topping out at about 65 lbs of pure muscle. She IS beautiful. Skeeter and Max are best friends and are both going for AKC canine good citizen testing at the end of April. I am so proud of Skeet and melt when she looks at me. I truly love this breed! lovicon

2. marciafinn

marciafinn Boxer Insane

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story Kara! I love to hear happy endings. :) It sounds like Skeeter was meant to find your family! I'd love to see some pictures of your babies. Good luck with the CGC's!!!

3. natrhymer

natrhymer Boxer Booster

Congratulations and thank you for rescuing Skeeter (and what a GREAT name!). Her skittish tendencies and then subsequent weeks without training could have resulted in her being returned to the animal shelter -- thank goodness you were there to help and get her back on track! Good for you and good luck with the CGC trials!

4. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

That is a heartwarming story. Some of what you describe with Skeeter sounds a bit like what we are still working through with our Jazz. Hard work sometimes but worth every bit!

So glad Skeeter has you and I too hope you can post some photos soon!

5. K9LUVR

K9LUVR Boxer Booster

To Skeets Friends

Thanks guys! She is a great girl. I will post Pics as soon as my photoshop Scanner gets fixed. I cannot firgure out how to enlarge anything! Skeet is so smart! Depending on how her cgc trials go I think I am going to look into service dog training. How great would it be if she where a humaine society spokes dog! gradicon She could go to schools and workshops to teach about animal care and cruelty. I will keep you all posted!

6. MyGirlHeidi

MyGirlHeidi Completely Boxer Crazy

That's a great story!! So glad Skeeter found a great home to be loved in. :)

7. K9LUVR

K9LUVR Boxer Booster

Pictures are in!

Ok guys Pictures are in! they are in the fawn boxer gallery or in my member gallery.. Thanks Everyone!!

lovicon

8. MizBev

MizBev Boxer Insane

What a heartwarming story and such a beautiful girl. lovicon

9. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

loved that story.:) it was so heart warming to know how much you love
    skeeter . you are right boxers are great.lovicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.