The Holistic Dog Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama_Zookeeper

Boxer Insane
I just bought this book yesterday, The Holistic Dog Book by Denise Flaim and I have not been able to put it down. The big attraction for me was the section on holistic rememdies by condition. Has anyone else read this book? I have been looking for information on holistic care specifically for mast cell tumors for Mia the boston. Anyhow, the approach in this book is fairly simple and formatted in a way that I can understand. Life for me should come with dummy instructions!

I wanted to share my find and see if anyone else has a recommendation for books of this nature. Thanks!

Dora

JulieM

Boxer Insane
I like this book a lot - it's straightforward, easy to read, and has good explanations of a large number of holistic modalities. Definitely a useful addition to any bookshelf.

You might also like the following:
Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care by CJ Puotinen
The Nature of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein, DVM
Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by Dr. Richard & Susan Pitcairn

These are a little more specialized within the holistic umbrella, but good reading nonetheless:
Four Paws, Five Directions by Cheryl Schwartz
Herbs for Pets by Gregory & Mary Wulff-Tilford
Homepathic Care for Cats and Dogs by Don Hamilton, DVM

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Without pulling them out and looking through them first ;) The Holistic Dog Book & The Nature of Animal Healing - though the Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care is a close tie because it is quite comprehensive. For someone new(er) to holistic care, I'd probably say The Holistic Dog Book as it covers so much and is so easy to read.

I tend to refer to Homeopathic Care for Cats & Dogs frequently, but it is obviously a homeopathic book, so doesn't go into other options as much as the others do.

Last edited:

KonaKoffe

Boxer Pal
Thanks Julie and Dora,

I ordered the The Holistic Dog Book and Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats

I also found an interesting one titled:
Natural Health Bible for Dogs & Cats : Your A-Z Guide to Over 200 Conditions, Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements by Shawn Messonnier

JulieM

Boxer Insane
That's probably a good one, too - Dr. Messonier is on a mailing list I subscribed to at one point, and I always found his posts informative and helpful. :)

KonaKoffe

Boxer Pal
Glad to hear it. I am always skeptical about the reviews printed on the website that is trying to sell the item but one was supposedly by a vet that said it was a good vet reference book so that at least gave me the impression that it goes into more technical/medical detail, which is what I am looking for. Time will tell! ;)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.