The Great Boomdini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Many of you may remember that Boomer is an accomplished escape artist from the few months following his adoption of me almost two years ago. If not, read here: Boomer loose in the room.

Well, we've been staying with friends for the last several months while the house has been under construction. The past couple of weeks, when I come home, I notice that one or two of the cable ties for Boomer's crate (velcro as opposed to plastic) are undone, but he's still in the crate. I'll let him out, and quickly replace the cable tie.

Friday morning, both Zip (Catahoula/German Sheperd mix) and Boomer go into their respective crates in the morning and I leave. I came home six hours later after a meeting, and guess who meets me at the door?!?! None other than the kidney-beaning tornado himself!! I walked all over the downstairs, and nothing was out of place. Again, yesterday, I come home....same thing. Boomer greets me at the door with some giant kidney beans. This morning, I decided I would leave Boomer out for a few hours and drop back by to see him (and let Zip out....as he doesn't have Boomer's iron bladder). I am so proud of him. I was hoping that as we move into the house I could put the crate up for good. I hope he does well this morning.

Cheers,
Scott

So, this morning, I decided to put Zip in his crate

Last edited:

Scorpio

Boxer Insane
Scott, Ozzy stays out now and he seems to being doing really well. Hasn't chewed or destroyed anything yet!! Hope it all works out well and they both can stay out and behave.

colleen

Thomas Liggin

Boxer Insane
You might want to rethink putting up the crate for good. There may be times you need to keep Boomer confined and quiet in the event that he has some injury or illness , and his activity needs to be restricted.

Indy is trustworthy, while Ava is not. When I am at home, but out of the house, I'll crate Ava, but will allow Indy his freedom. It doesn't bother Ava to see him loose while she's confined. But, when we go out of the house for a few hours, we still crate them both.

They don't mind being in their crates, and we have peace of mind knowing that they and the house are both safe. Indy is the first dog that we have ever crated. I don't know how we survived with our others.

There are too many things that can happen while they are not supervised, and none of them are good. I worry more about their welfare than the damage they might cause.

Way to go Boomer. You've made us all proud of you.

Tom

MyGirlHeidi

Completely Boxer Crazy
Our fingers and paws are crossed for Boomer!! Hope all goes well. Heidi always did well with the run of the house until I mentioned how good she was doing and then it was like BOOM..she relapsed....and now is working her way back up!! Best of Luck to ya!:D

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
I just got back from the house a few minutes ago, and I'm happy to report that Boomer was a good boy! Nothing out of place. I can't believe it! I'm sooooo happy for Boomer. I'm going to take it one day at a time and we'll see how long he can go outside the crate.

Cheers,
Scott

Rowdy Boys

Completely Boxer Crazy
What a good boy!! That's all you can do, take it one day at a time.

Sometimes I leave the boys out unattended, but not for long periods of time. They're good and as long as they've been out to potty before I leave, they don't have any accidents. I'm just too paranoid they'll start wrestling and crash into something and get hurt!! smashicon

CC

Completely Boxer Crazy
We've also been experimenting with allowing Titus a little more freedom lately. Xena is a good girl and can be left out, but we usually close the bedroom door (she likes it in there and she occassionally will potty in the house if she thinks we're really home and just ignoring her). Her crate doesn't have a door anymore. Well, Titus has now been trusted in the bedroom uncrated for 4 hours and has not destroyed anything! This is surprising, considering he will go eat stuff when we are home, but he has behaved very well and has been tested 4 times now. So both our crates might just have their doors removed shortly! They still love to sleep in them so we'll always keep them out but the doors get in the way so we'll take em off when we can!

Roxanna

Boxer Insane
How old is Boomer? Maybe it is just maturity. I can't wait for Elmo to mature like Tyra. Tyra never gets in any trouble.

Good boy Boomer. Good boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.