the ear that won't. stop. bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
I know I'm not the only one who's been here... so who has some tips to help end the madness? Thora somehow managed to get a nice chunk out of her ear tip last week and of course it bothers her, so she shakes her head like mad and her Dumbo ears flop around and the scab flies off and then my poor white walls get covered in blood (thank god for Magic Erasers). When she's not shaking her head she's scratching her head or grinding her head into the floor or against my furniture, which also rips the scab off. Last time it took an entire month for it to heal. This time I'm trying to keep her collar off unless she's going out to potty because I think she smacks her ears against it when she shakes or perhaps against her tags. DH gets lazy with this though and often forgets to take her collar off. I've been cleaning it when she lets me. I know you can apply cornstarch (or stiptic powder) to help the bleeding stop but the problem is more keeping the scab on so it can heal properly. There's no way she'll keep a bandage on or let me tape her ears to her head lol. I was thinking of trying butterfly bandages since they're tiny just to put at the edge but I don't know if it will do much because it's a fairly large scab now. It's very frustrating.

Gunther

Super Boxer
I would use "Well Horse" it's like a liquid bandage with anti bacterial proprieties Feed and grain store should have it. Non toxic.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
I wonder if regular liquid bandage would work? I have some but haven't tried it yet because when I use it on myself on fresh cuts, sometimes it stings. She's pretty good about letting me nurse her wounds but I know all it'll take is 1 bad experience and she'll never let me within inches of a booboo again. Made that mistake with my boy Tuff... He used to run at the site of a Q-Tip :LOL:

Kisaq

Super Boxer
If I had this problem, I'd come here and ask advice too! I got nothin' for ya on this one!

In regards to the liquid bandage - I'd wonder if it would pull at her hair and thus make her shake her head all the more?

Sounds like its worth a try though. Maybe you can get DH to put it on her - that way she'll still trust you ... just not him. LOL

Gunther

Super Boxer
If I had this problem, I'd come here and ask advice too! I got nothin' for ya on this one!

In regards to the liquid bandage - I'd wonder if it would pull at her hair and thus make her shake her head all the more?

Sounds like its worth a try though. Maybe you can get DH to put it on her - that way she'll still trust you ... just not him. LOL
Nope it will dry in about 5 minuets and it's non toxic! Think of it like finger nail polish conforms to the shape. :)

rena

Boxer Booster
Roxy did this as a pup and our house looked like a crime scene for months. About the time we thought it was healing it would break open and we would start over. She wore a bandaid as an ear ring for a long time. It stuck pretty well and sure helped with the splatter. Good luck - sorry I never came up with an easy fix for this one - it took a very long time to heal.

Gunther

Super Boxer
I wonder if regular liquid bandage would work? I have some but haven't tried it yet because when I use it on myself on fresh cuts, sometimes it stings. She's pretty good about letting me nurse her wounds but I know all it'll take is 1 bad experience and she'll never let me within inches of a booboo again. Made that mistake with my boy Tuff... He used to run at the site of a Q-Tip :LOL:
NO, I don't believe so. Even if the regular stuff would work as a dressing the Well Horse is non toxic and an antibiotic, it actually helps the wound to heal!

I found it when Struddell had developed bed sores!

Tessa

Boxer Booster
I totally feel your pain!! We have been through this so many times and it always takes forever to heal. The only thing that works for us is being religious about band aids. You have to get the bandaid sheer strips. No others worked for us, especially not the cloth or sport style. We put two on at a time, kind of perpendicular to each other with the seam at the bottom of the ear. Use the smallest size bandaid possible and squeeze it on as tight as you can.

Liquid bandage never worked for us. Neither did vetwrapping the ear to the head or using a nylon stocking to keep the ear to the head. I only use cornstarch with the bandaid if it's really bad.

The collar likely has no affect on it as the ear will bleed from the sheer force of the head shake. Try small band aids, at least it helps with the splatter on the walls.

Good luck!! It will end!!

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I would use "Well Horse" it's like a liquid bandage with anti bacterial proprieties Feed and grain store should have it. Non toxic.

Huh....I'll have to keep that in mind. I had never heard of that before....but good info to have in case of a "situation"!

Status
Not open for further replies.