the danger of collars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOE*BOXER

Boxer Insane
Wow, my two always have a collar on unless they are fresh out of the bath. Zoe is an escape artist and I have been called at least twice by somebody who found her roaming the neighborhood. :eek:

BrickWatts

Boxer Pal
our little guys only wear collars when we take them outside or in the car. :)

they were wearing them all the time, but then after watching them chew on them and drag each other around by them, we decided that obviously wasnt a good idea!

matrok

Completely Boxer Crazy
Same here, Leila has escaped and jumped the fence 2 times and thankfully the collar had our phone number so that we could be notified quickly. She was out on a potty break both times, no more than 10 minutes unsupervised. Needless to say, she is supervised at ALL TIMES! Collar is on all the time too.

FlimFlam

Boxer Pal
All our lot wear collars 24/7 pretty much, unless they are being groomed etc. In the UK, it is a legal requirement that dogs wear a collar with an identity tag, though I am unsure whether this extends to being in the home, or just when out and about.
I think collars have their dangers, but only as much as anything else i.e. A dog could catch the collar and choke, but they could also choke on some rawhide, swallow a toy, get hit by a car... It's up to us as responsible Mum's and Dad's to make sure they aren't put in a situation where these innocuous items could become a danger.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
All of my dogs, past & present, have worn collars 24/7 and I've never had an incident. I've never had a dog with a chip and in the area of Ohio where I live, most veterinarians and dog wardens do not have a chip reader so it would be of no help. I also think that if your dog gets loose and animal control catches it there is a different length of time they will hold the pet before euthanasia based on whether the dog has a license or not. I've never really thought about collar trouble (except with choke collars which I would never use) before. Maybe I should.

Chancejesi

Super Boxer
My boy only wears his collar when we go for car rides and the vets office. Otherwise he is an inside dog and only goes out if we are with him or if he has to potty. He is also microchipped in the event he does get out without the collar. My boyfriend is convinced if he did get out he would probably just wait for his mommy because he hates to go anywhere without me. :)

presley101

Completely Boxer Crazy
I nearly lost my older two when Cricket got her bottom jaw tangled in Baron's collar. we found them just as he began to asphyxiate. We were lucky and had a pocket knife to cut his collar off in time. This was followed by a trip to the emergency vet.

For those who MUST have a collar on your dog- please search "break-away collar". It's designed with a device that will snap apart if there is any pressure on the collar. You would have to search and see the drawing on the website, but it can save your dog's life. I'm a STRONG advocate of this type of collar and all mine now wear them. It does work.

HeatherLynnG

Super Boxer
Both of mine wear halters. For some reason I just never put a collar on either of them. All of their identification is on thier halters in if they go out of the house they have to wear them. Inside the house they are halter-free. I have tried putting a collar on my female and she just looks at me angry as all get out....like "mom, what do you think I am....a DOG....yeah right." Haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.