1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

Discussion in 'Books' started by Krikkit, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Culture Clash

I think this is the most recommened book on the board but we have not reviewed it yet :p It is like a Dog Operating Manual and Instuction Book. If I could only ever own one book regarding dogs then this would be the one I would select.

[​IMG]

Editorial Review (the publisher )
    The Culture Clash is special. Jean Donaldson's first book is quite simply the very best dog book I have ever read. It is utterly unique, fascinating to the extreme, and literally overflowing with information that is so new it virtually redefines the state of the art in dog behavior and training. Written in Jean's inimitably informal yet precise lecture style, the book races along on par with a good thriller. In fact, I read the manuscript three times in a row before it was even published. The Culture Clash depicts dogs as they really are - stripped of their Hollywood fluff, with their loveable 'can I eat it, chew it, urinate on it, what's in it for me' philosophy. Jean's tremendous affection for dogs shines through at all times, as does her keen insight into the dog's mind. Relentlessly, she champions the dog's point of view, always showing concern for their education and well being. The Culture Clash joins a very distinctive group of books and it runs at the head o! f the pack. Like Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog, The Culture Clash has a refreshingly original perspective. Like Gwen Bohnenkamp's books, The Culture Clash cuts to the chase - no if's and no but's - here's the story - now educate your dog! Without a doubt, Jean's book is the hottest doggy item on the market - the quintessential book for dog owners and dog trainers alike - a very definite two paws up! Do yourself and your dogs a big favor: Give it a read! And let's look forward to many more books by Jean Donaldson. Dr. Ian Dunbar

Index to The Culture Clash
    http://www.clickersolutions.com/clickersolutions/articles/tccindex.htm

2. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

Culture Clash

Hello, Blonde Moderator!

After jumping in on some forums & recommending MY favourite books by Dr. Stanley Coren [a Canadian Psychologist (perhaps I'm biased!) with a passion for understanding dog behaviour, dog training, wellbeing, etc.], I saw your postings recommending the above book. Sounds like one that I will have to try to get & give a good read-through. Thanks for posting the above information.

If you can get ahold of Coren's book: "How to Speak Dog" I'd like to hear your ideas on it in comparison to Culture Clash.

Coren is the psychologist who has had his "dog intelligence" test from "The Intellegence of Dogs" (I can't remember all of his other books, or even if I got that title right... my book is out on loan right now!) reprinted so often. Some people don't like it (the intellegence list), because they only read the "smart list" & don't bother taking the lists & tests in context. You've really got to read his ideas in context.

Anyway... before I bore you to death, I'll stop this....

I will look for the above book, & have a good read by the sounds of it!

S.

3. Spotty's people

me, again!

Oh yeah,

Where we would take our Spot for dayboarding/socialization in Vancouver, the woman there was starting to use clicker training. They thought that it was great. With some days having 20 dogs in daycare, and always such control, it seemed to work well for them....

Best regards,
    Susan

4. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Re: Culture Clash

I recommend both books. I often refer to both of them. I very much enjoyed "How to Speak Dog" and found it extremely helpful in learning how my dogs communicate with other dogs. It has helped me tremendously with Susie's aggressive tendencies when I first adopted her as I was able to spot things before she got out of hand and redirect her energies. It sure did help me and it was very valuable in getting my dogs socialized with other dogs in the parks and on the street. I too highly recommend "How To Speak Dog."

Of course, if you look at my posts here you'll realize that I am one of "The Culture Clash's" biggest fans. It is my "bible" of training (although I'm learning some more things all the time, especially now that I am studying for my dog training certification) and I recommend it to everyone as an excellent training guide and reference book.

They are different and have different subjects which are addressed, but both are valuable resources, IMHO.

Thanks for mentioning "How to Speak Dog." I hope a lot of boxer owners will pick up a copy and learn to communicate with their dogs better.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Hi Susan, it is wonderful that Spotty's daycare people are using clicker training :)

I think 'How to Speak Dog' and 'Culture Clash' are quite different in intent and both would be good books to own - Culture Clash goes more into day to day living, training, behavior management and problem preventing though it does cover doggy language.

I will admit I've not read 'How to Speak Dog' as I've not been a fan of the author going by the articles and some reviews I have seen, but then, as you mentioned (thank you!), I have probably read them out of context and should get the book and give it a chance. For some reason I have this idea that he may harp on the 'dominance' type things in this book which is probably totally wrong. Yes, it was 'Intelligence of Dogs' which put me off to start with :eek: Next time we place a book order I'll get a copy :)

Another reason I've not really rushed out to get it is because we have 'On Talking Terms with Dogs - Calming Signals' by Turid Rugaas, and also all the Calming Signals videos (the seminar videos were filmed in Canada), and have found that to be a wonderful resource on doggy language. These sites have an overview of the Calming Signals work if you are interested:
    http://www.flyingdogpress.com/turid.html
    http://diamondsintheruff.com/calmingsignals.html
    http://www.behaviour-problems.freeserve.co.uk/2/Commun/calm.htm
    http://www.carolark.com/calming5.html

I'll let you know when I've read 'How To Speak Dog' - thanks for the info :)

Sharon

6. Spotty's people

Dr. Coren

Hi Sharon;

I hope that you DO give those books another chance. I find that so much of the time the media will take quotations out of books & skew what the author originally intended.

Dr. Coren appears a lot on our Cdn Broadcasting Network (CBC Radio)-- "around the world on short-wave"! -- and he himself has stated that the "intelligence test" has been misunderstood. He also has a dog-training t.v. program on one of the specialty channels here "Good Dog", which actually had a segment that really helped me with Spotty. (We even got to meet the boxer that was featured on that show --"Scarlet"-- at the Lower Mainland Boxer Picnic! She was quite the celeb.!)

I found one of the books especially helpful, as he goes through a kind of "human test" to help a person decide what breed of dog is suitable for them. This helped me decide to go with the boxer! He is not as "smart" as a border collie (which my hubby wanted), and yet more easily trained than some other breeds (terrier types). It has worked for us.

As to "How to Speak Dog", well... I have that book loaned out so many times, that I could hardly remember what the title was, & how to spell Coren's name!

If you are interested, he also has written books on humans & sleep.... "Sleep Thieves" is supposed to be good... haven't read it yet.... But that is a whole different forum, isn't it?;)

Anyway. Enjoy the read when you get around to it! I hope you will give these books a chance!

S.

7. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think much of his first book "The Intelligence of Dogs" either, but I thought "How Speak Dog" was very interesting. If someone could only buy one book though, I would recommend "The Culture Clash" first.

Stanley Coren has a TV show called "Good Dog", which is usually very interesting and worth watching. Unfortunately it is on at 7 am and I am usually out walking Markus at that time or if I am really lucky, I am still in bed. :)

Susan, I would be interested in knowing where in Vancouver, they were using clicker training? Thanks!

8. Spotty's people

Clicker training

Well Jan, it was actually at the doggie day-care that I took Spotty to when we were living in Surrey. It is called "The Pampered Pooch" on No.5 Rd. in Richmond. They have a FANTASTIC daycare there, sometimes 20 dogs or more. Spotty learned so much there.... (Although, compared to out here in the Okanagan, it is really expensive!)

The most wonderful thing was our new-found friend, Debbie, who is absolutely dog-mad. She also was doing T-Touch with the dogs. She was sure that it helped Spot get over his tendency towards aggressiveness.

I think that "Good Dog" repeats on "The Learning Channel" at other times. There is a website for it, and you can find out when episodes are being aired. Just try one of the search engines like Google. I can't remember where it was, & I never bookmarked it.

Do you go to Dogwood Park in South Surrey at all? Wonderful place! Lots of Boxers show up on the weekends.

s.
    P.s. How about setting that VCR, Jan???? hahaha!

9. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I know I could set the VCR, but that would take organization and I would probably end up taping over something that I was only half way through watching. :rolleyes:

I've been to the Dogwood Park once and that was a few years ago. It's a bit far. We usually goes to Ambleside Park in West Vancouver, as it's on the beach and Markus just loves to play by the water. He won't swim though. :(

I hoping to find some clicker obedience classes as when I get a new puppy it will definitely be clicker trained. :) I haven't really looked yet, just keeping my eyes open.

Take care,

10. Chroetli

Chroetli Boxer Booster

About the book "The Culture Clash"

Hi, I just want to find out more about the book " The culture Clash". Does the training recommened in the book depends heavily on the use of the clicker as in Singapore, using the clicker to train dogs is not too common. Moreover, my dog is already used to a conventional " commend" based training using voice commands and hand signals.

Chroetli