1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

taste of the wild vs natural balance

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by abbydabbs, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abbydabbs

abbydabbs Boxer Pal

I recently found some taste of the wild at a pet store here and find it to be cheaper than NB. Its also a better quality food according to doganalysis. My question is someone stated that their fish may have a problem as far as where they get it? Should I just stay with NB?

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

TOTW does not guarantee that their fish is Ethoxyquin free from their suppliers that is the deal with the fish.

If you are feeding the Natural Balance limited ingredient diet, then the only "problem" with it and why it's a 4 star versus a 5 or 6 star food is it's lower in protein, if you simply add a bit of canned food or chicken, ground beef, etc 2-3 times a week then problem solved. Also if you are feeding the limited ingredient diet for a reason the TOTW food is not limited so it may cause an issue.

If you're feeding regular NB food then the TOTW may be better as it is grain free which is preferred and limited ingredients wouldn't matter.

It really depends on why you are feeding the food you are feeding right now. Also it's a good idea to rotate between 2-3 brands and varieties of food if there's no allergies or stomach sensitivities so you could feed both and simply switch back and forth every 2-3 bags of each.

Hope that helps some and good luck!

3. abbydabbs

abbydabbs Boxer Pal

Do you buy the big bags of dog food (25+ lbs)? Im wondering if I buy the smaller bags (10-15lbs) can I switch every 2-3 or does it need to be farther spaced out as the larger bags?

4. BxrMommieNAZ

I woudln't switch every 2-3 of smaller bags that'll just send their stomach for a loop. No, I'd switch more like every 2-3 months, 3-4 times a year give or take. I can't switch at all due to my dog's allergies I can only feed NB either Venison and Sweet Potato or Fish and Sweet Potato (although I'm excited about the new chicken and Sweet Potato as I think he'll be okay with that), but I cannot switch from NB every other brand has something he's allergic to in it. But yes I buy the 28 pound bag which is the biggest they make in what he eats and with a 60 pound 7-8 year old female and a 67 pound 2 year old male that lasts me exactly 3 weeks.

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Not actually true (particularly for the formulas that contain grains and/or grain fragments), and certainly not so stated on the dogfoodanalysis site ;)

It is, however, certainly fair to say that these foods have a low apparent meat content, and would be improved markedly by the addition of fresh real meat to the diet.

6. BxrMommieNAZ

I will say I was speaking regarding the grain free varities available through NB in order to compare apples with apples so to speak.

7. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Uh huh. Most of which contain low-ish quality ingredients, such as potato fiber, potato protein, and canola oil. Even with higher meat content, it is unlikely that these foods would gain a substantially higher rating than that they've already got. Most of the 5* foods aren't grain free anyway though, so you don't really need that 'apple' in order to make a comparison ;)

None of which makes NB a bad food, of course, and its better than many (hence the 4* rating) :) But DFA doesn't state or even hint that its Editors believe that this is a 6* food but for higher meat content. If you're going to make such blanket statements, a little "IMO" in the front of it wouldn't go astray ;)

8. Rozycki

Rozycki Boxer Buddy

We are feeding Cody TOTW, and it is the only food that hasn't upset his stomach. He finally has solid poop, he has stopped itching/biting his feet, and his chin has stopped itching. As far as the fish question that you had, I'm not really sure, but TOTW has three different varieties available (at least in my area). We are avoiding this fish variety and are feeding him the Roasted Bison/Roasted Venison variety. We could not be happier with the result, and the food is very reasonably priced. A win-win situation!

9. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

We've had the same luck with TOTW and feed the same kind. It's also the first and only food so far that we've had a solid poop with.

10. BxrMommieNAZ

Do you mean the Pacific Stream formula? As far as I am aware they do not have a Salmon and Sweet Potato formula. ??

Hope it works 'cause it's leaps and bounds better than Science Diet that's for sure. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.