1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tail docked too long

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Jaclyn, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Boxer Booster

My mothers neighbors just got a boxer puppy and when I went over there to see her I noticed that her tail was docked entirely too long. I didn't say anything to them about it, but I am concerned for the baby. Will this cause her discomfort as she gets older? Has anyone delt with this situation before? Eventhough she isn't my baby she still is a boxer baby and I am just as concerned as if she were mine.

2. dan h

dan h Super Boxer

Our Max's tail is also cut longer than other boxers I have seen at the parks. Several people told me it was a show cut. But it doesn't seem to bother him.

3. vaboxer

vaboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

I've heard the same thing Dan H...a longer tail crop is a show crop!?!?

Hopefully someone will let us know if that is right!

4. Kysha

Kysha Completely Boxer Crazy

Owen and Tegan both have longer docks than most boxers I have seen in our area. All the other boxers that I have seen have tails that are only about 1 or 2 digits (vertibrae) long. Tegan and Owen's are about 3 digits long (when they are sitting thier tail just touches the ground). Tegan and Owen are both show dogs, so perhaps that's why thier tails are longer... Their tails aren't long enough for them to bend or curl them, they are still short IMO.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a tail that is a bit longer than normal, just like there is no problem with having a real short tail either.

5. FlashyTitus

FlashyTitus Super Boxer

My dog has a long tail cut. It is longer than the standard because it is cut for show. I have had people at petsmart and other places comment on his tail. They usually tell me how good it looks compared to the shorter cut. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, if the ears are show cut then the tail needs to be show cut. If the ears arent then I think the shorter tail cut looks better.

6. Astoreen

Astoreen Completely Boxer Crazy

Just an FYI, most vets are now moving towards the longer cut regardless of whether you have a show dog or not.

7. Kathryn Saxon

Kathryn Saxon Boxer Booster

There can be a wide variation in length, even when you "think" the vet is docking each puppy the same length. Boxer tails should not be docked as sort as Rotties, but they also shouldn't be like Weimeraners, and I see that trend a lot in the ring the last couple of years -- I find it really unattractive to see the beginning of the tail curve.

8. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

Have to agree with Kathryn here.
    Longer tail cuts do tend to bend like a banana and personally they look yuck to me!

NZ moved towards longer docks a few years ago, but because I personally disliked it, I continued with the shorter dock.

Now the show rings here are sporting long and short tails, as people have decided that longer tails arn't that nice ,do bend, and are moving away from them.

I at present ,have a boxer pup with a tail that is too short, :( but when I compared her to some other pups recently with longer tails , I decided too short still looked better> :LOL:

Guess its all personal, but the breed standard does actually state the correct length.
    How one interprets that will give rise to variations.

9. Chappy2

Chappy2 Guest

Hunter has a longer cut and it works out nicely. He can still show emotion to other dogs by putting his tail down to cover his back end or having it up waging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.