1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swollen red bumps on muzzle?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by lost1700, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost1700

lost1700 Boxer Booster

My male is around 9 months old now and he recently has gotten a red bump on his lower jaw right underneath his lip about the size of a dime but very swollen looking. Sometimes it even bleeds. I took him to the vet and he said it looked like a infected cut or hair follicle or something. He gave me an antibiotic ointment to put on it but it doesnt seem to be working. He told me to give it 7-10 days. This was 2 days ago and now my dog is sprouting more of them, probably around 6 or so, but smaller. They are on the upper jaw and lower jaw now. Anybody know what they are or what I should do?

2. punkin

punkin Super Boxer

Did your vet mention anything about acne? Both Duke and R.J. had major acne at about the same age. Duke's lasted a few years, and R.J. still has the odd flare. I would continue with the ointment, unless it looks like your guy is reacting to it. Make sure his food and water are both in either a stainless steel or ceramic dish. Also, give his dishes a good scrub daily with a mild soap and hot water. It also helps to gently wipe his face, after he eats, with a warm wet cloth. If it appears to get worse, or he starts to act like he feels unwell, take him back to the vet. Good luck!

3. lost1700

lost1700 Boxer Booster

Thanks! You were right on the money, I took him back to the vet today just to make sure and he said thats what it was. Thank you for the tips!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.