Switching food again? to soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goolia83

Boxer Booster
Ok, I have been switching Roxy slowly over to Chicken Soup and we haven't seen any difference in her poo! (I've heard about the runs some pups get when switching) So to start I bought a small bag of food to make sure it agreed... Well I went to go buy more and they were out! I've gone around town a bit and no one can keep the stuff on the shelves! I want to know if it's too soon to start switching to Canidae? We just got her 12 days ago and I don't want to switch her food to much if it's bad for her, but I don't want to have to go hunting for food every time I need another bag... Any suggestions? She's 10 weeks old.

Also - She isn't interested in her food at all... She's only eating about 1/2 of the recommended amount in a day for her age and weight, and I have to stand over her and remind her to keep eating. It's like she has puppy ADD or something!
She's not skinny, she's growing like a weed, and I can't firgure out how she can eat so little, poop so much and grow so much at the same time???!!!
(see gallery pics)
I tried putting banana in her food to make it more interesting... she made a huge mess spreading her food everywhere to get the bananas and only ate about 1/2 of the kibble in the process. I'm going to try yogurt next, it's harder to pick out!
I thought switching food might help. maybe she just doesn't like it.?

Thanks everyone!
Julie

Dempseysmama

Boxer Insane
I am REALLY not sure, but it seems to me that if you can't find anymore and her digestive system doesn't seem effected by the change that maybe it'll be okay to go for the Canidae. BUT I am FAR from an expert. Just my thinking. Good luck! Let us know what you do and how it goes!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
I would be cautious about changing her food again. You’ve only had her 12 days and one food switch in that time is really enough. It is usually recommended that you keep a new puppy on the same food the breeder fed her for the first week or so, even if it’s some nasty junk like pedigree or science diet. The stresses of a new home, new people, loss of mother and littermates is already a lot. A new food is often just one thing to many and the pup ends with diarrhoea. Obviously, it didn’t happen in your case, and you were able to change her food without incident too. But doing it a second time so quickly might just be pushing your luck a bit far ;) Had you got to the point of 100% Chicken soup yet?

Still, if the food simply cannot be found, then you may have no other option. Canidae in that case is probably the best choice you could make – not only is it a good food, but it’s also very similar in formulation to Chicken Soup so the potential for tummy upsets from another change is minimised.

As for her not wishing to eat much - I really wouldn't be concerned about it at all at this stage. No need to go to great lengths to try to tempt her either. Puppies are notorious for being picky eaters at this age. In reality, they're not really being picky at all. They just have variable energy needs and they respond to that in the amount that they eat.

Baby puppies grow in spurts. And during a growth spurt, their little bodies need all the energy they can get. Accordingly, the pup has a strong appetite during these periods. A weeks or so later, the growth spurt is over and the pup's energy needs are reduced. And so, as a result, is its appetite ;) That's both normal and healthy.

In another couple of weeks, the next growth spurt will start and your pup will be back to eating with enthusiasm.

Anyway - don't start worrying about her not wanting to eat much unless it doesn't change in a couple of weeks time. And don't fall into the trap of constantly offering something else to try to tempt her either ;) It won't make any difference - she's responding to her body's needs (which is healthy - overeating is not). The only thing you'd achieve from it is creating a picky eater.

Goolia83

Boxer Booster
I found it!!!

YEAH! I finally found a GREAT pet shop by my house that has Chicken Soup fully stocked!!! I got the 35# bag and it was only $26!!! They said "it's our most popular food" (which is good because it was on the shelf next to science diet!)

Is it unusual for Dogs to only eat when certain people feed them? When my Husband feeds her she won't eat, and when I get home and see she hasn't eaten then I'll put the food down and she inhailes it! it doesn't matter what time of day either.

gmacleod- She is at 80% chicken soup. I waited 3 whole days before mixing it. That's what I had read to do... but I'm not sure where I read it :) She adjusted to our house and us very fast, so I think that's why we were ok. I'll know better next time!

Thanks everyone!
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.