Sweet Potato and Rice Allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
Hello all....
My Cooper is just one year old and I believe we narrowed down the rice allergy for sure but 2 weeks ago I started cooking his meals at home and decided to use sweet potato instead of rice. I started the home cooked meals due to the possible rice allergy. He has not been tested its just a trial and error thing. Anyhow his paws are becoming even more red and irritated than before. I would like to add something to his meats and veggies for a little substance and I am still using 1/2 cup of kibble. Taste of the Wild Lamb.
Any suggestions?

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Dogs don't need carbs or veggies. All they really need is meat. If your dog has a lot of allergies, I would feed the Prey Model Diet where you approximate feeding the whole animal, which is basically meat and offal. Your boxer will do just fine on it.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
I had to go prey model because my staffy (RIP) was allergic to rice, oats, and any potatoes. She did "ok" on the purple Eagle Pack, but still had trouble with firm poops. So prey model we tried and so glad we did! I then put all 3 dogs on it and was truly amazed at the difference in the staffy, mentally and physically, and the other 2 benefited tremendously. I can't recommend the prey model enough to those who have allergy issues.

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
Not feeling comfortable with this at all. How did you work up the nerve to start this Prey Model feeding? I would love love love to be able to because I believe it would really help my boy but I worry that he might get sick or get something caught in his throat or tummy and end up at the vet. Being he has had 2 broken bones and so many allergy problems, including severe hives and a short bout of mange earlier this summer- I can not afford any more vet bills... I believe my Discover is approaching 4,000$ in less than a year and this is only doggie bills for vet visits! Grrrr!!!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
The first thing I fed was chicken breasts. Once I saw them crunch-munch-swallow, they were hooked! It took me about a week to realize that everything was a-ok. A bit scary in the beginning, but once you have the routine down, it's actually easier, especially if you pack meals in ziplocks and freeze. It really seems overwelming in the beginning with the portion control and making sure they have the rounded meals of offal bone and meat. But after you get that all down, about 2 weeks before I was "a pro", it was awesome! I would feed outside in the warm days, even warm ones in winter. I've even tarped two deer legs for several days meals in the back yard. LOL You figure out the easiest and best methods to obtain your meats, and learn to be quite forward in asking friends, even strangers, for their freezer burnt meat. LOL You MAY even stop and collect road kill. It's an addicting food plan for both you and the dogs.....and so much fun to watch them truly enjoy their meals. So many benefits to count.

Status
Not open for further replies.