1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Susi - question concerning vetalog

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Stub, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

One of my friends has a rottie just diagnosed with MCT. It just popped up last week and they took her to the vet right away but only got the biopsy results last night. The vet wanted to schedule surgery right away but I told them they should look into vetalog first as I had read many of your posts about it on the boards. But, I've tried researching it online myself and can not find anywhere that it is suggested for MCT treatment. Can you point me out any websites I can refer them to for more information? The rottie is scheduled for surgery next week I think as of right now and I know they would rather NOT put her through that if they can find an alternative. Thanks so much!

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Do a search of "intralesional triamcinolone mast cell tumor" and you will find a limited bit of information.
    Intralesional means "within a cancerous area" (injecting the tumor) and Triamcinolone is the Vetalog (also has other names too).

There isn't much info online about its use in MCT's and there have not been any studies published, hence the reason for there not being much info available online. There isn't any money (as a business) for its use. It is very inexpensive! We were paying just $7.00 for the injections and that was often times for multiple tumors at once. Of course the visits were more expensive with all the other charges (oncology) but far less expensive going this route than surgery.

This is a very common drug and their vet will have it or a form of it. It is most often used for allergies.

This link has dosing info:
    Mast Cell Tumors in Dogs: some advances in conventional care

Merck Veterinary Manual

3. Stub

Thank you, that dosing info was especially helpful.

4. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Has it been used in any other tumors? Like soft tissue sarcomas? My boy has a super aggressive spindle cell tumor that we cannot get clean margins on.

5. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

To be honest while I was researching it I was pretty much stuck on seeing MCT's and mention of it with other types of tumors was glanced over. I DO remember seeing it used on other tumors but can't tell you what types.

6. Stub

Well, they talked to their vet about it and she is refusing to even consider trying it. I gave them the name of my holistic vet and one other who I used to use who might be willing to try the Vetalog. Could you tell me the name of the vet who used it on Cami, or the clinic, so that my friends can have a name/number for any vet who is willing to try it to consult with? (I'm not sure if that is permissible on the boards but if so, please?) Thanks again!

7. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Dr. Cheryl London at Ohio State University. She is the head of oncology and does consults with vets.
    Traditional vets more often than not do not know about this use and a good portion won't even consider it. Your friend should seek the advice of an oncologist not just for the Vetalog but for the cancer itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.