Supplementing with Zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Lexi has been diagnosed as being zinc deficient. Her dermatologist assumed she was when she had her first visit but wanted to clear up her yeast and fungal infections first. We are now to buy zinc to supplement her diet. I was told that it too much zinc can be harmful. I am worried about supplementing for this reason. Do any of you use zinc as a supplement and what exactly is it for? She has recurrent fungal infections in her nail beds and her nails break very easily and are brittle. I guess this clued them in to check for this???

JulieM

Boxer Insane
We gave zinc supplements to my middle boy when he was itchy/losing hair on his face. After a couple of weeks, his itching cleared up and the hair grew back. This was in maybe January.....we haven't given zinc since and he's been fine. (This was also a high-stress time for him, we added Rescue Remedy to the water until we got through the stress period.) Here is some more information on zinc.

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/zinc.html

http://www.peteducation.com/nutrition/zinc.htm

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Thanks Julie, very informative information..not that I expected anything less ;)

I wish I could really understand why she has so many immune problems...Here she has been fed high quality dry food her whole life, pampered, exercised, and always been well taken care of. Baxter is left tied to an unknown object outside his whole life with a collar that grew into him and eye infections that left him blind being fed who knows what and he has far less health problems than my girl *sigh* I guess it isn't supposed to make sense.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Well, immune function is largely genetic - or at least, the predisposition toward immune problems is. So perhaps Baxter just comes from hardier stock ;) I would wager, however, that if you took Lexi off the "high quality dry food" and put her on a raw diet, you'd see great improvements in her condition. (And that's all I'll say about that unless you ask me :))

Status
Not open for further replies.