Summer Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, a couple of days ago I posted a question about my puppy who was sick. Well, I found out what she has, giardia, fun stuff. It turns out giardia is highly contageous so Riley went to the vet on Monday and Bailey was close behind on Tuesday. It is a virus that is in the water and I thought you could only get it from drinking out of rivers and streams. My babies got it from drinking and playing in the sprinkler and then licking themselves. It gives them really bad diarrea and they throw up a little too. The vet told me it is extremly hard to get rid of, especially with more than one dog because they just keep infecting eachother (through stepping in stool, licking eachother, etc.) I have to go through one round of meds with them and hopefully it will be gone, if not, we try different meds. I am just warning you that your dogs may have never gotton it before and it could just spring up. There is a vaccine that I am planning on getting for both girls being that they really enjoy the sprinkler. All I have to say is the vaccine is a lot cheaper than all the stool testing and meds.

tedjax

Completely Boxer Crazy
Isn't the water that comes through the sprinkler the same as tap water??? If so, I would think you need to have your water tested asap. I have heard of people contracting giardia in swimming pools, but it is usually through - ugh - dirty diapers or someone with diarhhea in a pool. I will certainly keep this sprinkler in mind and let me know where sprinkler water comes from??? Thanks and I hope you babies get better soon. ((((((hugs)))))))

diego's heart

Boxer Insane
Thank you very much for sharing the information esp. since all the literature I've read points to lakes/rivers/streams re: giardia. And wishing your babies get better soon!
Lisa

I guess giardia is very common in this area in the tap water, we didn't know that but we use filtered water for drinking, cooking, etc. I guess if is in the water here in Colorado because there are so many groupes of livstock and wildlife. The feces seep into the ground and then travel into the water.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Playing in the sprinklers may not have done this. We had a bought of this at our household and a round of Flagyl (metranindazole) cleared it up. Panacur is another alternative if the Flagyl doesn't work. It can come from the standing puddles left from the sprinkler. Even if your dogs licks the rain off of your deck, which is where I think mine contracted it, it can be contaminated. The water that comes from the sprinkler is the same as your house water so it's a possiblity they got it from the aftermath the sprinkler left ;)

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Aaahhh well water, yes that does make a difference. You may want them to go potty somewhere far far away from your well then this seeps into the soil and then into your water :eek: I hope they are feeling better soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.