1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kkee, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

I never really saw Cavs as agility dogs until I went to a local event and Cavs and BTs made up the majority of smaller dogs. It was insane! I've heard they're highly intelligent and somewhat easy to train as well.

As far as Shelties go, from what I've heard, you have to teach "quiet" very early or they can get barky. Lillie can honestly be the same way sometimes (but usually when prompted by Keiko). The good news regarding Shelties is that there are two people very close to me that I consider borderline experts on the breed. One already offered to teach me all the grooming and training secrets if I were to get one. Plus, they could all play together (she owns a daycare/play yard/boarding facility). Both also do agility and the same lady that owns the daycare offered to give me pointers.

I love Bull Terriers, but I've heard the same thing about them being hardheaded and stubborn. I promised myself that I'll always give myself a break between Boxers and get a dog a little less stubborn.

2. jacquim

jacquim Boxer Booster

I had two shelties prior to having my current two (the boxer and a border collie) and they were fantastic dogs. They would do really well in an apartment and required very little exercise as long as they received love and cuddles and some mental stimulation. Mine were not very barky but we taught them from day one that being loud was not acceptable. They were very chill and would often just lay around the house but were also always up for a good game of fetch. On the contrary, one of my neighbors has a sheltie and the dog seems psychotic! It obviously hasn't been taught manners but I can hear it yapping down the street every day as they walk it (like excessively and constantly) and it is ALL over the place and full of spastic energy.
    I'm not sure how they would do with the roughness of a boxer though. My shelties would have hated how my current boxer plays and he is pretty chill for a boxer puppy compared to some others than I have seen. My border collie is much more high energy than my shelties were and she finds the boxer to be a bit much sometimes (although still has a blast wrestling with him).

My shelties were extremely easy to train and were just all around excellent pets. My only worry is that they seemed quite delicate and I would be worried that they would get hurt in a boxer wrestling match. Then again, both of mine were also arthritic from an early age so would not have done well at all with being jumped all over. They were both mid-sized females but possibly a larger male sheltie would be able to stand their ground a bit better with the rough play.

3. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

Their size is my only real concern, as well, but I'm hoping that since Lillie has yet to harm Keiko (who is smaller than a Sheltie and pretty delicate) that it could work out. Keiko is the one that usually initiates rough play and she reciprocates. I've also been looking around rescues for larger male shelties and I'm going to ask both of my contacts if they have and resources.

4. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say: Zoë, those pics of Caney and Bella are ADORABLE!!!

5. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Aren't they?? :) Looking at those photos you would never guess that Bella started out the week being absolutely terrified of Caney!

6. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

Great news!!!

So, the reason I counted the Rottweiler out was because I was told by a few people that they needed a TON of exercise, more than I could offer. After speaking to a few breeders, owners, and reading an article from the ARC, it turns out that what I was told generally isn't true. The ARC and owners say generally an hour of less of physical exercise + mental stimulation in the form of obedience/training is enough for most Rottweilers. I'm so happy I could cry right now as I've been in love with them for quite some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.