1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kkee, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

My mother and I will be moving to an apartment soon (basically a house divided into 2 apartments) - there will be no fenced in yard, though we can take the dogs to local parks to exercise. We started talking and it seems that it would be very difficult to raise either of the two breeds I was considering next (Doberman or Rottweiler) regarding the energy level/exercise needs, especially when balancing with class (if it's next fall, it won't be so bad, but spring of 2013 I have to do 40hr. non-paid internships). So, we began looking for breeds that are ok with lots of mental stimulation, but not quite as much physical exercise. It would also need to be able to handle the ridiculous play antics of a Boxer, obviously. As far as what I would want to do with him, I would LOVE to try rally, obedience, and agility (obviously depending on the individual dog's personality/abilities). Size does not matter as the apartments have no size or weight restrictions.

So far, I have zeroed in on Papillons, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, & Shelties (a lady from my 4-H club has shelties that boss her GSD around).

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I have quite a few Paps as pet sitting clients and I would say beyond a shadow of a doubt that they would NOT be a good match for a Boxers high energy, size or strength. Might be great for apartment living but not in one with a Boxer! Paps have a lot of energy but it is in small doses meaning it isn't as noticeable if they are running around acting crazy whereas it IS with a Boxer.
    We have a Cavalier King Charles (Charlie) who lives on our street. He is terrified of Raine and he met her as a tiny, yet exuberant puppy (he was a year at the time). He wants NOTHING to do with her and she wants nothing more than to say hello to the top of his head with her left jab.
    We have Daisy and Butch who are Shelties who live behind us and our yards share a fence. I've known both of them since they were babies. Butch is about 9 now and Daisy is closing in on 5 years. They had a third named Sonny who had to move to another family members house due to "issues"....at any rate, of those 3 none could or WOULD put up with either my girl Cami or now Raine's crazy-Boxer-ness.
    Don't know how much of it is the breed or the way my neighbors raised them but they have always pretty much been couch potatoes! :LOL:
    My neighbors who completely adore Raine (and Cami too when she was still with us) say they get their "entertainment" from watching the crazy Boxer antics that go on in my yard. I am cussing half the time and they are laughing at me trying to deal with her.
    In a perfect situation any breed of dog can be taught to get along with and enjoy the company of a Boxer but it does help to have another dog who is just as energetic, playful, close in size and strength.
    Just my opinion though!

3. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

Didn't anyone tell you boxers are best in pairs? lol

I know several people that have big dogs and boston terriers.

4. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

We have a Cav in our obedience class that lives with Lillie's "boyfriend" (a border collie x) and she is the sweetest thing. Lillie and Mac are identical in personality and play style and the Cav (@ age 11) deals with it on a daily basis :D What can I say, I'm hopeful!

As far as Boxers in pairs... maybe when I have the patience of a saint! I love Lillie, but her favorite past time is testing me. BTs are sweet and are on my list also. I've seen quite a few do agility (they were all amazing) and one do obedience (not so well haha)

5. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

BF's mom has a Cavalier named Bella, we have kept Bella before while mom was out of town and she and Caney got along great. At the time Caney was 5 months old (FULL of energy and antics) and Bella was 11 months old. For the first day Bella was terrified of Caney, constantly trying to seek refuge on the couch or in my lap, but by the end of day 2 she realized that Caney was a friend and they became the best of friends that week. I've got some photos :)
    Bella-Sitting - a set on Flickr

I don't know anything about the other breeds you mentioned but my experience with Cavaliers has been that they are pretty chill, but can also be playful when the time is right. I think that if you got one as a puppy there would be a few good months where you would have to closely supervise interactions between the two, just so that Lillie doesn't accidentally hurt the puppy (despite their playful personalities Cavs are not what I would call "sturdy" dogs, and would be especially fragile as youngsters) but once you get past that stage I think you'd be good to go. :)

6. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

Paying close attention wouldn't be an issue. I'm so ridiculous about it that my mom says I'm not a helicopter parent - I'm WORSE, I'm a hover parent. Lillie is surprisingly calm for her age and is used to playing with a 17lb. bipolar Chi-mix on a daily basis. She also made best buds with a 3lb. mix in her old obedience class and she was already easily 45lbs. at that point. She would hop and chase her, but always seemed to be a bit more careful with her. She also tries to play with every small dog she sees, silly girl.

P.S. Bella is super adorable! Those big eyes get me every time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. johann

johann Boxer Insane

What about a boston terrier or french bulldog? Both small, decent apartment dogs...but sturdier and less barky than the breeds you listed.

8. kkee

kkee Boxer Booster

I've admired FBs for a long, long time and even considered getting one. Now, I've gotten really into rally & obedience and it's just very rare to see them there. Not impossible, just rare. I've also heard that they're very stubborn, even more so than Boxers.

BTs are generally a bit more biddable than FBs and I really wouldn't mind owning one at all. Not sure where exactly they are on the "intelligence/ease of training" scale.

9. BoozerBaby

BoozerBaby Super Boxer

Since you asked hehe my boy was 8 yrs old and he played with many different breeds never vocal with any of them UNTIL he was 8yrs old for the first time my husband and I was in shock.There is this English Bull dog where we live and when my boy saw this dog a few times on leash and the bulldog wanted to chance my boy away and was very vocal so I never let them get close enough.My husband however one day aloud our boy to be off his leash for a few moments until we got close to the road and there he was Taxi (the bulldog) my boy went absolutely crazy he was barking at Taxi the way he would when he was playing with my husband,1st time I swear.He jumped all around pouncing at him with his paws on the ground and running around him and Taxi tried to chase him they played for 15mins and we made them stop only because it was to hot.It was the funniest sight we ever saw with him and another dog.If I had a choice I would have 2 boxer buddies or a Boxer and a Bulldog.lolicon

10. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

We have a cavalier in my agility class. She does .. "ok".. she does it, it seems, to please her owner, but would rather, honestly, just chill on people's laps ;)

We have 2 shelties. They do great. They seem a bit "barky" dogs.

After owning 2 boxers... I sooooo love them!!! lovicon Now, the only draw back I see, is the short nose. Maybe it is because I live in Texas. But I love hiking and they definitely not endurance dogs.
    I love boston terriers, French Bulldogs... but they also have a short nose.

My next dream breed wouldn't help your search. I am in love with the english bull terrier lovicon But they are hard headed :LOL: I just love their clownish demeanour and expression that reminds me of the clownish boxer lovicon
    http://www.dreamdogs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/english-bull-terrier1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.