1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Urination in House (housebroken 2 yr old)

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Deisel Baby, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deisel Baby

Deisel Baby Boxer Pal

My 2 year old boxer has started urinating in the house. This started a few days ago in the middle of the night, he stood up on his bed and immediately started urinating. He has been drinking more than usual lately so I figured it was an accident. Very early this morning (around 4 am) he did the same thing....this time his bed was a little wet as well. In the morning he sat on my husband's lap and started urinating again. We also noticed that he was shaking a bit when he was laying on his bad. It started with just his head bobbling but then we noticed his front legs were shaking. We took him in to the vet right away. We were at the vet's for almost 3 hours today running tests. All were negative (diabetes, kidney issues, UTI, etc). The vet prescribed phenylpropanolamine and sent us home. Within 3 minutes of being home it happened again...and it is not a little dribble, it's a lot of urine.

This is very abnormal for him. He knows that if he whines at the door we will wake up and take him out. It's almost as if he has no idea it's coming. He also sulks after it happens. We feel terrible.

Has anyone had/heard of this happening before?? Any tips or suggestions for the incontinence? Our only solution today has been taking him out every few hours.

2. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Sorry, no advice. Just wanted to send some (((positive vibes))) your way. I would probably go either back to the vet and see what else they have to say or go for a second opinion somewhere else.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Seems odd that your vet would prescribe a medication for urinary incontinence when what you describe is a near emptying of the bladder (large volume of urine VS. a dribble).
    Is the shaking and head bobbing appear to be a nervous thing or perhaps even pain related? If not I'd almost think it was seizure like activity which would fit the loss of bladder control while it is happening.
    If your vet didn't mention this I would ask about the possibility.
    It would give you a different direction to investigate.

4. honeybunny

honeybunny Boxer Pal

the same thing...

the same thing started happening to my furbaby yesterday. over the course of two hours, she had peed in the house three times! and she is 100% housebroken. she even peed while i was watching her! i haven't taken her to the vet yet as it stopped happening yesterday afternoon and she seems completely fine now. did they rule out a bladder infection? i wonder if he is shaking because he is in pain, or if it has something to do with seizures etc. either way, poor baby! i hope he gets figured out soon!

5. Deisel Baby

Deisel Baby Boxer Pal

I am worried that the shaking is pain related as well. He started shaking again last night. It only lasts a few minutes but it is worrisome nonetheless. It seems to be just his front legs that shake. He laid around most of the day yesterday too, which is very unlike him. I think he is scared/sad that he has been having accidents.

I have been researching the medication they put him on (phenylpropanolamine aka proin) and have found there are some very serious side effects (i.e. stroke). I'm going to start a new thread about Proin to see if others have had negative experiences. I specifically asked the vet if there were any side effects to this drug and she said only if he had a certain disease.

6. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Just the front legs shaking could very well be a focal seizure. What you describe sounds very possible seizure related to me.

Good luck in finding some answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.