sudden and horrible death of dwarf rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

douma

Boxer Insane
Don't fell guilty,you are not.Not at all!!
As you are going to move in Athens would be better to wait and when you are completely settled you could take a rabbit.You know,it wouldn't be easy to rent a home with a boxer and a rabbit,but if you have an own home in Athens,then would be better to take a rabbit now,as Keeroff is a puppy and would be easier for them

Sabrina

Boxer Booster
rabbits can be litter trained in much the same way as a cat, but they should never be allowed to be free unsupervised - the like to chew on electrical cords and its something I was never able to break him from doing. The other thing I would worry about is boxers like to chase, and could possibly hurt the rabbit without ever meaning to. My boxer chases my cat quite often; he never tries to hurt her and licks her if he catches up with her, but rabbits are much smaller and could easily be stepped on. I'd suggest keeping the rabbit in a cage and take the rabbit out as frequently as you can to play with it and hold it. Mine loved to sit on my shoulder and watch TV with me. You could also let it down to play but only with close supervision and maybe keep the puppy on a leash until your absolutely sure you can trust him to not chase and pounce.

I don't thhink there's anyhting ethcially wrong with getting another rabbit. You obviously loved and cared for your rabbits or you wouldn't be this upset.

Keeroff

Completely Boxer Crazy
thank you both for the replies.

Sabrina said:
rabbits can be litter trained in much the same way as a cat, but they should never be allowed to be free unsupervised - the like to chew on electrical cords and its something I was never able to break him from doing. The other thing I would worry about is boxers like to chase, and could possibly hurt the rabbit without ever meaning to. My boxer chases my cat quite often; he never tries to hurt her and licks her if he catches up with her, but rabbits are much smaller and could easily be stepped on. I'd suggest keeping the rabbit in a cage and take the rabbit out as frequently as you can to play with it and hold it. Mine loved to sit on my shoulder and watch TV with me. You could also let it down to play but only with close supervision and maybe keep the puppy on a leash until your absolutely sure you can trust him to not chase and pounce.

I don't thhink there's anyhting ethcially wrong with getting another rabbit. You obviously loved and cared for your rabbits or you wouldn't be this upset.
what is litter training? you mean potty training?(sorry .. my english.. :confused: )
i have NO experience in cats :/ my rabbits were never willing to potty in a certain spot (maybe it is my fault) but i have also heard it is a matter of sex and caracter.my best friend's dwarf rabbit is free in the house and doesnt do damages and also he doesnt potty all over the place. also, a pet shop owner had told me that female rabbits are very clean and their attitude is similar to dogs'. i dont know if it is true. in baby dwarf rabbits the sex isnt appearable.

Sophia, i know i will already have a great problem in renting a house since i have Keeroff. but i want to decide now if i will get another rabbit in the future, because if not, i will donate all my rabbits' stuff to other people who have rabbits.

Sabrina

Boxer Booster
Yes, sorry, by litter training I meant potty training. I had a holland lop rabbit, male, that I litter trained. I just took a small cat litter pan and put cat litter in it and put some of his feces in it. I watched him very carefully and put him in the pan whenever he went and he soon learned to jump in the pan and go. Most rabbits will naturall go in one place anyway eg if their in a cage they will normally go in one corner of the cage. Some people don't have problems wiht their rabbits chewing on stuff, but I would not take the chance of them chewing on an electrical wire while I wasn't there to supervise. Its just not worth the risk of them chewing something that could kill them to me.

Keeroff

Completely Boxer Crazy
thanks :) yes, you are right they shouldnt be unsupervised.it is dangerous. as dangerous as it is for puppies, etc.
so, since you have experience in rabbits, have you ever heard about such an incident? i mean the way my rabbits died. i have posted here the report of death.

Sabrina

Boxer Booster
I read the report and I can't think of any disease that would cause that result. It sounds more like something poisoned them. This is jsut from my experience having rabbits for many years, I'm not qualified to say what it could be in any medical way.

Keeroff

Completely Boxer Crazy
maybe this too much to ask but...... if someone of the people here who have or had rabbits, could you PLEASE ask your vets about my case????? i have already asked 4 vets in Greece and they dont know..... :( rabbits are not that popular here... :(

please ask your vets, telling about the report of death after the autopsy.

Keeroff

Completely Boxer Crazy
i forgot to say i went to that pet shop today to buy some chew bones for Keeroff... i also wanted to see if the pet shop owner would say anything about what happened...
maybe it was just my idea.. but i think he didnt want to discuss this at all. anywayz, thank you for the support :)

I have been reading about your heartache over losing your baby rabbits, and I, too, agree it sounds like someone poisoned them. We had two rabbits, lop-eared ones, and they both died at the same time. We later found out it was from carbon monoxide poisoning, I don't know if this would be something for you to look into or not, just a thought. May God help you to be able to accept this and not blame yourself, as everyone else has said, it is not your fault.

Keeroff

Completely Boxer Crazy
Shakira's Ma said:
I have been reading about your heartache over losing your baby rabbits, and I, too, agree it sounds like someone poisoned them. We had two rabbits, lop-eared ones, and they both died at the same time. We later found out it was from carbon monoxide poisoning, I don't know if this would be something for you to look into or not, just a thought. May God help you to be able to accept this and not blame yourself, as everyone else has said, it is not your fault.
oh im so sorry for your loss :( did you found them stiff,unmoveable? did they die suddenly like my rabbits? no symptoms before or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.