1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sudden and horrible death of dwarf rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Keeroff, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeroff

Keeroff Completely Boxer Crazy

please help me find out the truth.
    the 3 rabbits were found frozen, while 4 hours ago were just fine!no symptoms no anything. here is the exact report of death(i'll try to translate it in english):

"destroyed stomach, disembodiment of the stomach's content into the abdomen. awful denaturation of the liver."

so, the vet describes only what he saw during autopsy but he doesnt say what provoced this.. and he doesnt know. also, he refused to take blood sample or liver sample and he said no one does this at Corfu(the island i used to live until last week......)
    another vet said that the stomach destruction can happen after poisoning.
    however, everything was the same for the three of them; rabbit food,water,cages,sawdust,etc.
    the bags of food were bought on Monday and 2 of the 3 rabbits were dead Tuesday afternoon.Thursday afternoon the 3rd one died too......

please help me find out what happened.
    Lazarus and Sotiris were only 3 years old and Keeco was only 2 years old!!
    what happened was so unfair!!!!!!! and i have to know

thank you in advance

2. CondoPup

CondoPup Banned

Gosh, Keeroff, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your rabbits. I'm assuming by "frozen" you don't mean from cold weather, but that they were found stiff (as they had died)? I'm just checking the translation to be sure I understand.
    It does sound like poisoning is a strong possibility, or some sort of rapid illness that came on and got really bad quickly, but I am not a Vet. Maybe someone on this site else will have some insight about what causes the results shown by the autopsy. Did you get any new supplies from a new store recently? Maybe something was contaminated - I'd talk to your supply store and ask if they had any other reports about other animals becoming ill.
    I'm sorry this happened - let us know if you do find out the cause.

3. Slobber Baby

Slobber Baby Banned

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I know how much you loved those rabbits...is it possible someone poisoned them?? Godspeed little rabbits..again I'm so sorry I don't know what to say...angelicon

Laura

4. douma

douma Boxer Insane

I'm very sorry.The bag of food which bought of the pet shop was open or close?i can't think something else as your rabbits were inside

5. Keeroff

yes condopup, i meant stiff.no part of their body could be moved. "frozen" was not the right word.
    they were definately not poisoned on purpose, since their cages were in the middle of my room and the balcony. my dad always took good care of them while i was away, he loved them so much too.
    we didnt get supplies from another pet store. it was the same rabbit food from the same store. but the most recent bags were bought on Monday.

6. sanford7

sanford7 Completely Boxer Crazy

I am so sorry for you loss!! How horrid!! It certainly looks as if the food could be tainted. I had several rabbits growing up and I never encountered anything like this. Is there any agriculture dept you could have the food tested by? and I'd be sure to get in touch with the place it was bought from too.. Let us know if you find out anything.

7. Keeroff

Sophia, the rabbit food was normally roundly(hope it is the right word) but the pet shop owner always puts it in bags of 1 kg

8. Keeroff

that is exactly what i want to do. to have the food tested. i havent found where this can be done yet...

9. CondoPup

CondoPup Banned

It certainly sounds like the food could have something to do with this. This is really sad, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

10. Keeroff

i havent understood it. i havent believed it.i havent accepted it. for me, they are exactly where i left them.in my room at Corfu period
    and they re waiting for me to pick them up and take them to Athens where i will be a student from Genuary.i ll never accept what happened and i will never enter that house, to avoid all the memories.

thank you for the support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.