1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

such a sad face!

Discussion in 'Stories' started by bethlyn, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bethlyn

bethlyn Boxer Pal

FIRST, THE HISTORY - (IT LEADS UP TO WHY WE GOT OUR PRETTY BOXER)

In December, we moved from an area that didn't allow dogs (the nerve of some people! LOL) to a piece of land with acreage around us, with only one neighbor that we can see from the house, (and once the trees grow in, we won't see them! ;-) ) Along with us came our 10 yr old cat Jenny, and an outside kitty who kind of adopted us. He had been a stray, but cried outside our door one day last spring, so we fed it. When that behavior got rewarded, he kept it up. We named him Kingsford, because he looked like a glowing charcoal that was a little ashed over. We feel in love with him, as he was amazingly affectionate. We would have brought him in, but Jenny wanted NOTHING to do with him and she made it well known that she did not want him in our house. Not wanting to leave him behind, he came with us when we moved. Surprisingly, he chose to stick around. (Can you blame him, acres of field mice in addition to breakfast and dinner each day and some petting in between!) He was always there to greet us when we got home, mewing for us to pick him up and pet him!

But then one morning we got up, and he didn't come for breakfast. Not for dinner that night, not the next day, not ever again. Maybe he wandered off and found a new place to call home. 5 nights after we last saw him, some coyotes came yipping very close to the house. We have a feeling they got our little guy.

This gave way to such loneliness. I hadn't realized how much I looked forward to having someone waiting to see me when I got home. (Jenny is an inside cat. She sometimes acknowledges us when we get home, but mostly just looks bugged that we interrupted her nap.) Then it hit us. We have the room and the land. How about a dog? OK. What kind? How about a boxer? Then we hit some websites, and soon came upon a beautiful girl at Young Williams Animal Center in Knoxville. We called, went to fill out an app. But she was on hold for someone else. If that didn't work out, we'd be next in line. What joy we had when they called and said that she was available for us to see. But would she like us?

OK. THE REAL RESCUE STORY

Our first visit. She had such a sad face. Not really happy to meet new people. It turns out that her previous family had developed some health issues and weren't able to keep her. She had been at the shelter for 2 weeks. I tried to imagine how sad and confused she must be. We took her out for a walk. She was so well behaved! Very good at walking on a leash. We were sold. So we completed the paperwork, and 3 days later we picked up our girl.

Karlee is a 6 yr old beautiful brindle boxer. She is amazingly well-behaved. My husband and I feel like we won't be able to get another dog ever again that will be as good as Karlee is. I was worried at first that she wouldn't like us, and that she would always be sad for her old home. But it has been neat to watch her trust in us grow and make these new people and they're place her home. Jenny isn't to keen on her, but Karlee has probably been raised around cats as she doesn't want to chase Jenny, in fact she is scared of her. Once Jenny realized that, she returned to her queenly state of rule.

Karlee came to us a bit underweight. I don't think she ate well at the shelter. So we're working on getting her back to where she should be.

It's doesn't feel totally like a rescue, since she came from a good home. But she was at an animal shelter, so I guess it qualifies. But it seems like we are the ones who've been rescued. She has brought so much joy to our lives and into our hearts. I still miss my Kingsford, especially his mousing abilities. I've had to deal with mice in the basement since he's not been around. :-( But it is a wonderful feeling to have a dog. She craves our praise and attention. She likes going for walks, sniffing where deer and rabbits have been, but she loves going for rides. And to see her running around the yard is amazing. I look forward to the many days ahead of us and am thankful for the opportunity to have her in our lives.

Thanks for letting me share this with you!

2. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

What a great story, and that is definitely a rescue! Who knows how long she might have been at the shelter without you to rescue her? And she has such a wonderful new home! She probably thinks this is doggie heaven. :)

Congrats, and kudos to you for rescuing!!

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

There is nothing like a Boxers love. They are great medication for whatever is ailing you.
    Sorry that you are missing Kingsford.
    Thanks for sharing your story!

4. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

What a sweet heart warming story! Sorry that you are missing Kinsford :( Your story brought a smile to my face :) Wishing you many happy years with Karlee.

5. Marisue Zorens

Marisue Zorens Boxer Buddy

Great story and definitely a rescue! Who knows how long she'd have been in that shelter, and her condition would probably deteriorated. Even the best shelters are not happy places for dogs. Ya done a good thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.